Splunk Search

Finding USB and Removable Media Detection

alice_waynecorp

I've recently had some Ransomware that I think came off of a users USB drive. I am worried he might have shared it with other people but he can't remember the name of the USB drive and now he lost it :-/. I found a search on http://gosplunk.com/ (see below) that I thought would work, but it doesn't find it for his Windows 10 machine. Anyone have any ideas? I am collecting most windows logs AND WinRegistry

sourcetype=WinRegistry key_path="HKLM\\system\\controlset*\\enum\\usbstor\\*"  registry_type=CreateKey | eval Date=strftime(_time, "%Y/%m/%d %H:%M:%S") | rex "key_path.*usbstor\S(?<DeviceType>.*)&ven\S(?<Vendor>.*)&prod\S(?<Product>\S*)&rev\S"   | stats  count by Date, host, Vendor, Product, DeviceType   | fields  - count   | sort  - Date
Tags (1)
0 Karma

rkovar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey Alice, I ran into the same problem before. The issue seems to be that Windows puts its USB insertion information in 17 different registry keys [1], so you can actually need to look multiple places. The search below is kind of a sledge hammer, but the "data" field I list out below tends to show the actual "USB" device name

"sourcetype=WinRegistry  "HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\WindowsNT\\CurrentVersion\\EMDMgmt\\" OR "HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows Portable Devices\\Devices\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\DeviceClasses\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Enum\\STORAGE\\Volume\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Enum\\USB\\VID_111D&PID_0000\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Enum\\USBSTOR\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Enum\\WpdBusEnumRoot\\UMB\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\DeviceClasses\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Enum\\STORAGE\\Volume\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Enum\\USB\\VID_111D&PID_0000" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Enum\\USBSTOR\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Enum\\WpdBusEnumRoot\\UMB\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\DeviceClasses\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\STORAGE\\Volume\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\USB\\VID_111D&PID_0000\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\USBSTOR\\" OR "HKLM\\SYSTEM\\ CurrentControlSet\\Enum\\WpdBusEnumRoot\\UMB" | stats count by data"

[1] http://www.forensicmag.com/article/2012/08/windows-7-registry-forensics-part-6

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...