Splunk Search

Find requests hits within span of time

likesplunk

Hi All,
Any inputs on the following requirement is appreciated.
I need to know the count of request of type1 followed by type2 that has happened within say 1 min with the same username

Tags (1)
0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

maxspan isn't a field, it's an argument for the transaction command. You're saying "I want to group events as a single transaction that starts with "FOO" and ends with "BAR" but only if the time difference between the two is one minute or less."

Since there is no 'maxspan' field, it's not something you can reference later. However, when you transaction, it DOES create a new field called 'duration' which you can use later for evaluations.

| transaction username maxspan=1m startswith=eval(request="type1") endswith=eval(request="type2")  | timechart count

should give you a chart of the number of transactions over time. If you want to group them by the transaction duration, I would recommend doing some bucketing:

| transaction username maxspan=1m startswith=eval(request="type1") endswith=eval(request="type2") | bucket duration span=30 | timechart count by duration
0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

And if this answer helped, please mark it as 'Answered' by clicking the green check. That way people finding this in the future will see it's a question with an accepted answer, as opposed to one that's still outstanding. Thanks!

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Assuming in this example that you have the fields request (values type1 or type2) and username extracted:

... | transaction username maxspan=1m startswith=eval(request="type1") endswith=eval(request="type2") | stats count

likesplunk

Not able to figure out the exact search fields, though have gone thru splunk tutorial.
For
i tried .. | transaction username maxspan=1m startswith=eval(request="type1") endswith=eval(request="type2")(maxspan=2s or maxspan=60s) | timechart span=5m count

With this, I am able to view the count of request during a specific period.What if wanted to know no of request of maxspan 2 and them maxspan 60 over a period of time

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

You're using stats AND chart after that. That won't work. Have you taken the Splunk tutorial? It explains some concepts like this if you're new to Splunk.

0 Karma

likesplunk

i tried .. | transaction username maxspan=1m startswith=eval(request="type1") endswith=eval(request="type2") | stats count |chart count over maxspan.But I am not getting th expected result

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Sure. transaction will produce a field duration that shows the duration between its first and last event, so you could use that in your statistics.

0 Karma

likesplunk

Thanks.Is there a way to plot graph with maxspan & count

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...