Splunk Search

Find correlation between nearly static data and a data feed.

tboyden

I'm looking to find a way to match up info from one data source that only changes once per day, and another data source that changes frequently. Each night we map user_id to computer_id and that file gets ingested into Splunk. During the day I have a constant stream of data coming in with mappings of action_taken and computer_id.

My challenge is that I need to be able to look up the mapping of user_id to action_taken historically, to within the minute, and through the API.

What is the best way to search/lookup/report that mapping?

Thanks!

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

I think you should use an lookup table and maybe even setup automatic lookup. In a nutshell, the process you have running once a day, generates a .csv file. Setup this .csv as a lookup and have the daily process update the same file. You can also do an automatic lookup which will automatically, include the user_id on every search. Here's what your search will look like. Assume your lookup file is called usermapping.csv

your base search on streaming data | lookup usermapping.csv computer_id OUTPUT user_id | ....

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.5/Knowledge/Usefieldlookupstoaddinformationtoyoureve...

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The other search should that should be setup to run every 24 hours just after the other file is written is this:

your base search on daily data | dedup user_id computer_id | table user_id computer_id | outputcsv usermapping.csv
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...