Splunk Search

Filtered search from 2 searches

AllenZhang
Explorer

I have 2 searches:
1. Search(AAA)|rename _time as TimeA|table TimeA host;

2. Search(BBB)|rename _time as TimeB|table TimeB host

How to create a new search:
Search(???)|table host; (or Search(???)|table TimeA TimeB host)

Which will only list the hosts that TimeB is older(or smaller) than TimeA
(there might be more than 1 results TimeA and TimeB for each host, in that case, just pick the latest one to compare)

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This might get you started. There may be other ways to do this, too.

search(AAA) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeA | join host [search (BBB) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeB] | where TimeB < TimeA | table TimeA TimeB host
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This might get you started. There may be other ways to do this, too.

search(AAA) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeA | join host [search (BBB) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeB] | where TimeB < TimeA | table TimeA TimeB host
---
0 Karma

AllenZhang
Explorer

Thanks to Richgalloway, it works!
However, some expected records were not there in the result, if I the time window is not long enough.
Any way to list those hosts, which were in results of search(AAA) but not in results of Search(BBB) ?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This this search:

search(AAA) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeA | join type=outer host [search (BBB) | dedup host | rename _time as TimeB | fillnull value=0 TimeB] | where TimeB < TimeA | table TimeA TimeB host
---
0 Karma

AllenZhang
Explorer

Great, it works like a charm! I am new to Splunk, and I have learnt a lot here. Thanks again!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...