Splunk Dev

Field data ends with elipsis...how do I get the rest?

claatu
Explorer

I do a search query where one of the fields returned has semicolon-separated values. For example, "Alpha;Beta;delta". The field sometimes has a large number of values, and the last one ends with dot-dot-dot, for example: ";blue;red..."

I know from the source feeding this that the field has more values than are being shown in Splunk. So I think Splunk is just truncating and not showing the rest of the values. Is it possible to get the full amount of data, or is that being truncated at the point of the feed? Is there a solution to this?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DalJeanis
Legend

One way to test this is

your search that gets some of these
 | head 5 
 | makemv myfield delim=";"
 | mvexpand myfield

That will take the first five records, change that field into an official multivalue field, then fan out the records so that there is one record per value in that field, with the remainder of fields retained.

Once you review those, you will know whether the data is still there.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

One way to test this is

your search that gets some of these
 | head 5 
 | makemv myfield delim=";"
 | mvexpand myfield

That will take the first five records, change that field into an official multivalue field, then fan out the records so that there is one record per value in that field, with the remainder of fields retained.

Once you review those, you will know whether the data is still there.

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

Have already done that. That is how I know for sure that the list of items is incomplete.

0 Karma

claatu
Explorer

OK, We can close this question. I saw the details of the feed mechanism, where it states: "These fields are limited to 1250 characters. If such a field has been truncated, the field's value will end with an ellipsis ("...")."

So, I guess there is no getting the full data, as it is not even making it into Splunk.

Thanks for considering it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...