Splunk Search

Field Extractions in Search Head GUI

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I have an event which is getting segregated with pipe (|) symbol and i want to separate those events with a regex expression how to proceed further.

Sample Event are below:

2017-06-04 03:51|Level=***|Name=Men|Id=(xxxxx)|Job=(xxxx)|DropNumber=(xxxx)|Cycle=(xxx)|Value=(xxx)|Field=(xxxx)|Process xxxxxxxx

So I have tried to segregate the same in search head GUI by clicking the Field extractions and by using delimit option i choose pipe (|) symbol to split it.

The fields are getting extracted and I have renamed the field names too. But once I saved it and clicked the extracted fields which is in left hand column its getting with the field name and with the key value. But actually i want the key value alone.

For Example:

If i have delimit the field using (|) symbol and rename the field to "Name" and saved it.

Post saving it when i click the "Name" in the extracted field it should show as "Men" as mentioned in sample event.

But instead when i click the "Name" field it shows as "Name=Men"

So kindly let me know the regex to extract only the key value alone since i need to create multiple field extractions for the same.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

To implement my previous answer via the UI, follow these steps:

Settings -> Fields -> Field Transformations -> New

alt text

Set sharting to global

Settings -> Field Extractions -> New

alt text

Set sharing to global

Settings -> Source Types -> Select source type (may have to uncheck "Show only popular")

Expand Advanced settings -> New setting -> Name = KV_MODE Value = none (I can't attach another screenshot, sorry) -> Save

This extracts the fields as you've specified for the line:

2018-01-07 01:50:39,296|INFO|ServiceName=xxxx|DropId=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx|JobNumber=(xxx)|DropNumber=(xxx)|StampCycle=xxxx|TotalFiles=xx|FileId=xxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|QueueName: xxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx, GUID: xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx

including:

FileId: xxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

transforms.conf:

[pipe_key_equals_value]
REGEX = (?<_KEY_1>[^|=]+)=(?<_VAL_1>[^|]+)

props.conf:

[<sourcetype>]
REPORT-pipe_key_equals_value = pipe_key_equals_value

To see this in action: https://regex101.com/r/otQuZ6/1

Note: When _KEY_1 and _VAL_1 are used, splunk will use the value of _KEY_1 as the field name, and the value of _VAL_1 as the value of that field.

0 Karma

abhijeet01
Path Finder

Hey @anandhalagarasan

Ignore my previous answer.
You can try below regex.

rex field=_raw "^(?P.+)|Level=(?P[^|]+)|Name=(?P.+)|Id=((?P.+))|Job=((?P.+))|DropNumber=((?P.+))|Cycle=((?P.+))|Value=((?P.+))|Field=((?P.+))|Process\s(?P.+)"

I have checked this on regex101.com and its working fine.You can also use this regex in transforms.conf file.

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi abhijeet01,

Thanks for your response. But still it didn't worked.

Let me show the actual raw event from this example can you help to retrieve those 8 fields.
2018-01-07 01:50:39,296|INFO|ServiceName=xxxx|DropId=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx|JobNumber=(xxx)|DropNumber=(xxx)|StampCycle=xxxx|TotalFiles=xx|FileId=xxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|QueueName: xxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx, GUID: xxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx

I just want to extract the following fields without any issues.

ServiceName
DropId
JobNumber
DropNumber
StampCycle
TotalFiles
FileId

And as mentioned in your regex expression i can able to extract all fields perfectly except "FileId" alone.

When i extract FileId and when i click the FileId its getting extracted along with (|) pipe symbol and QueueName information.

xxxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|QueueName: xxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx

But actually i need only the FileId value alone and it should not be extracting any messages post FileId Since I need to extract only till FileId.

Is there any way to get it achieved.

NOTE:
For few instances alone its getting extracted with | information followed by FileId and the remaining FileId values are getting extracted perfectly.

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Splunk appears to automatically extract these fields, as they are Key=Value. Does your sourcetype set KV_MODE = none?

mayurr98
Super Champion

Hey

Go to settings>fields>field extractions>new and put below regex

Level=(?P<Level>[^|]*)|Name=(?P<Name>[^|]*)|Id=\((?P<Id>[^\)]*)\)|Job=\((?P<Job>[^\)]*)\)|DropNumber=\((?P<DropNumber>[^\)]*)\)|Cycle=\((?P<Cycle>[^\)]*)\)|Value=\((?P<Value>[^\)]*)\)|Field=\((?P<Field>[^\)]*)\)|Process\s(?P<Process>.*)

Also you can try in search query and look for field value using below query.

index=your_index | rex field=_raw “Level=(?P<Level>[^|]*)|Name=(?P<Name>[^|]*)|Id=\((?P<Id>[^\)]*)\)|Job=\((?P<Job>[^\)]*)\)|DropNumber=\((?P<DropNumber>[^\)]*)\)|Cycle=\((?P<Cycle>[^\)]*)\)|Value=\((?P<Value>[^\)]*)\)|Field=\((?P<Field>[^\)]*)\)|Process\s(?P<Process>.*)”

After that you can see all the field on the left side. With field value pair as you wanted

Let me know if this helps you !

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

hey @anandhalagarasan

have you tried above regex?
you will be able to extract process with a value xxxxas well with all the desired results !

let me know if this works!

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi mayurr98,

Let me show the actual raw event from this example can you help to retrieve those 8 fields.

ServiceName
DropId
JobNumber
DropNumber
StampCycle
TotalFiles
FileId

And as mentioned in your regex expression i can able to extract all fields perfectly except "FileId" alone.

When i extract FileId and when i click the FileId its getting extracted along with (|) pipe symbol and QueueName information.

But actually i need only the FileId value alone and it should not be extracting any messages post FileId Since I need to extract only till FileId.

NOTE:
For few instances alone its getting extracted with | information followed by FileId and the remaining FileId values are getting extracted perfectly.

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

see for this particular event you can use

ServiceName=(?P<Name>[^|]*)|DropId=(?P<Id>[^\|]*)|Job=\((?P<Job>[^\)]*)\)|JobNumber=\((?P<JobNumber>[^\)]*)\)|DropNumber=\((?P<DropNumber>[^\)]*)\)|StampCycle=(?P<StampCycle>[^\|]*)|TotalFiles\=(?P<Field>[^\|]*)|FileId=(?P<FileId>[^\|]*)

Let me know if this helps !

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Thanks for your response.
I have applied the regex as provided but still the last field alone (FileId) is fetching the information along with the message that might be whatever even-though we have a pipe symbol in between..

Once the field is extracted and when i click the FileId it shows the result as below:

Can you kindly help on this.

0 Karma

Elsurion
Communicator

One way is to take the name as the beginning pattern for the regex.

| rex field=_raw "\|Name=(?<name>\S+)|ID=\((?<id>\S+)\)\|"

another way is to put these regex into a transforms.conf on the searchhead.

/local/props.conf

[<your_sourcetype>]
REPORT_extract_b1  = extr_pats

/local/transforms.conf

[extr_pats]
REGEX = \|Name=(?<name>\S+)|ID=\((?<id>\S+)\)\|

Another way is with DELIMS

[extr_pats]
DELIMS = "=|"
FIELDS = "temp1","name",temp2","id"
0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Thanks for your suggestion. All fields are working fine except the last one that is "Field".

Sample Event :

2017-06-04 03:51|Level=***|Name=Men|Id=(xxxxx)|Job=(xxxx)|DropNumber=(xxxx)|Cycle=(xxx)|Value=(xxx)|Field=(xxxx)|Process xxxxxxxx

Here in this case the "Field" is getting extracted along with Process information.

When I click "Field" in extracted fields the results are as below:

xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx|Processs xxxxxx

But i need to exclude the Process one and get only the key value xxxxxxx.

So kindly help to provide regex for the same.

0 Karma

Elsurion
Communicator

Did you use the inline or the props/transforms one?

For inline it would be

| rex field=Field "\|\w+\s+(?<process>.+)"

for props/transforms with DELIMS it would be this example
tranforms.conf rewrite

[<your_sourcetype>]
 REPORT_extract_b1  = extr_pats
 REPORT_newfield = new_extr

props.conf add

[new_extr]
REGEX = "\|\w+\s+(?<process>.+)"
SOURCE_KEY = Field
0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi,

Consider this exact sample event and from here i want to extract those fields.

ServiceName
DropId
JobNumber
DropNumber
StampCycle
TotalFiles
FileId

NOTE:

0 Karma

Elsurion
Communicator

The full regex for this string would be this one:

\S+\s\S+\|(?<Status>\w+)\|\w+=(?<ServiceName>\w+)\|\w+=(?<DropId>(\w+-){4}\w+)\|\w+=\(?<JobNumber>(\w+)\)\|\w+=\(?<DropNumber>(\w+)\)|\|\w+=(?<StampCycle>\w+)\|\w+=(?<TotalFiles>\w+)\|\w+=(?<FileId>(\w+-){4}\w+)\|\w+:\s(?<QueueName>\w+),\s\w+:\s(?<GUID>(\w+-){4}\w+)

It does not include now special characters like äöü.
You could also expand the placeholder \w+ to it's real name like ServiceName, etc. But this is only a solution when you getting faults with the extraction.

When you encounter some mismatch, you can test the regex also here:
https://regexr.com/
but you have to remove the fielddefintions, since this page does not recognize it.

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Elsurion,

ServiceName
DropId
JobNumber
DropNumber
StampCycle
TotalFiles
FileId

NOTE:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...