[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/mck-perflog-aix/bin/lsvgdetails.sh]
index = mck-perflog
sourcetype = lsvg_detail
interval = 60

Script returns output as:-
rootvg,64,559,199,360

I am using following in props.conf

[lsvg_detail]
EXTRACT-common = (?<vg_name>[^\,]+),(?<pp_size>[^\,]+),(?<total_pp>[^\,]+),(?<free_pp>[^\,]+),(<used_pp>[^\,]+)

but it is not extracting field, I do not have any transforms.conf

Can you please help

Lowell
Super Champion

Any reason why you aren't using delimiter based extractions? I think that would be simpler in your case.

That said, the bug seems to be in your regex. Try this:

EXTRACT-common = ^(?<vg_name>[^\,]+),(?<pp_size>[^\,]+),(?<total_pp>[^\,]+),(?<free_pp>[^\,]+),(?<used_pp>[^\,]+)

You were missing a "?" at the end (used_pp). I also added a leading "^" which will force your regex to start at the beginning of the line; which is better than letting the regex engine guess.

I didn't change this, but you should note that your entire regex will fail to match if any of the fields you have defined are missing. That is [^\,]+ vs [^\,]*. You may or may not want this. Also, you don't need the backslash before your commas.

To use a delimiter based extraction, you can do the following:

props.conf:

[lsvg_detail]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
REPORT-fields = lsvg_detail-fields

transforms.conf:

[lsvg_detail-fields]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = "vg_name", "pp_size", "total_pp", "free_pp", "used_pp"

In my option this is much simpler to understand and maintain in the future; and it may even be slightly faster than the regex approach (not that you're likely to notice the difference.) So unless you have a complex field extraction situation (i.e optional columns or very weird quoting logic) the I recommend sticking to the delimiter based approach. (And that's coming from someone who really enjoys writing and tweaking regular expressions.)

Lowell
Super Champion

Your problem is probably that you don't a timestamp in your event. Splunk breaks by default after a timestamp. You don't want to change LINE_BREAKER in this case (or hardly ever), you simply want to add SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False in props. (I've updated my example above to reflect this.)

0 Karma

manuarora
Explorer

I am using multiple unix echo to display text i.e
echo "splunkdvg,128,399,6,393"
echo "appvg,128,478,357,121"

0 Karma

manuarora
Explorer

Hi it gives me output like this
splunkdvg,128,399,6,393
appvg,128,478,357,121
rootvg,64,559,199,360
but when I use above format it adds VG name to used_pp, I think I need to use LINE_BREAKER but do not know what should be value of line breaker

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...