Splunk Search

Extracting field

Gayathirik
Path Finder

I tried to extract a particular field from my input data , for ex: src_ip
However, those fields are not showing on the Fields Sidebar. Though I can view them in the Manager>>Fields>>Field Extractions.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Few things to check

1) Search mode: Make sure you're running your searches in Smart or Verbose and not Fast
2) The fields will show only if more than 20% of the events have that field. Try add | table src_ip to your search to see if it returns any results
3) Permissions on the field. Make sure everyone has "read" permissions

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Few things to check

1) Search mode: Make sure you're running your searches in Smart or Verbose and not Fast
2) The fields will show only if more than 20% of the events have that field. Try add | table src_ip to your search to see if it returns any results
3) Permissions on the field. Make sure everyone has "read" permissions

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By any chance, are you running in fast mode?

If so then this turns field discovery off and the fields are not available. If you run in smart/verbose mode then field discovery is on and you can see your fields

If you are running in smart/verbose mode then I would suggest that you need to specify the sourcetype to get that field to appear. The fields are relative to sourcetype, so if your sourcetype isn't showing up then your field won't show up

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...