All Apps and Add-ons

Exchange app - no events displaying

agonist_inhaler
Explorer

I am encountering similar behaviour to http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/69273/splunk-for-exchange-not-showing-data . Our setup is Exchange 2007 running on Windows 2003, but the issue I'm seeing is that no events are going to client behavior dashboard. I checked the events and there are events showing for Windows:2003:IIS and client-iis-logs but none for the rest of the eventtype the search in client behavior dashboard requires.

I checked props.conf and transforms.conf and in my understanding, from Windows:2003:IIS it has to extract and create eventtype for client-owa-usage, client-activesync-usage and so on, but for some reason it's not being populated.

I can see events such as "2013-01-02 08:15:08 W3SVC1 EXCHANGETH 1.1.1.61 POST /owa/ev.owa oeh=1&ns=Notify&ev=Poll&prfltncy=0&prfrpccnt=0&prfrpcltncy=0&prfldpcnt=0&prfldpltncy=0&prfavlcnt=0&prfavlltncy=0 443 protodom\wolverine 1.2.120.53 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+Trident/4.0;+SLCC2;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729;+.NET+CLR+3.0.30729;+Media+Center+PC+6.0;+InfoPath.3) exchangeth 200 0 0"

So I am assuming that data is being forwarded. I tried to change some extractions from transforms.conf from indexer server, and change
[extract_webapp]
SOURCE_KEY = cs_uri_stem
REGEX = (?i)^[^/]*/(?P[^/]+)

to make field "WebApplication" appear but maybe I am barking at the wrong tree.

thanks,

1 Solution

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The basic problem here is that the WebApplication is not being extracted.

The proper IIS sourcetype is "MSWindows:2003:IIS" - first of all, do a search for

eventtype=client-iis-logs

Make sure the cs_uri_stem field is being extracted. If it isn't, then it's likely that there have been changes in the format of the IIS logs. Take a typical IIS log file (on disk) and look at the first ten lines. The format of the file is clearly described. Then alter the transforms.conf for the stanza mswin_2003_iis_fields to match what you are actually seeing on disk.

Once the cs_uri_stem has been properly extracted, you can move on to the WebApplication field. This should just appear once cs_uri_stem is working, but, again, it depends on what you are actually seeing.

View solution in original post

agonist_inhaler
Explorer

Hi Ahall,

I finally fixed it. You were right, the fields in the transforms.conf for mswin_2003_iis_fields were off, there were some fields that are not included that's why the values for cs_uri_stem were not correct.

Everything's seems to be showing now.

thanks a lot.

0 Karma

agonist_inhaler
Explorer

Hi Ahall,

I finally fixed it. You were right, the fields in the transforms.conf for mswin_2003_iis_fields were off, there were some fields that are not included that's why the values for cs_uri_stem were not correct.

Everything's seems to be showing now.

thanks a lot.

0 Karma

agonist_inhaler
Explorer

I can see eventtype=client-iis-logs, even the cs_uri_stem which has GET and POST etc values. even cs_uri_query. However I am not seeing client-owa-usage nor client-ews-usage, which tells me that WebApplication is not being extracted correctly.

I can see from IIS logs;
2013-01-02 08:15:08 W3SVC1 EXCHANGETH 1.1.1.61 POST /owa/ev.owa oeh=1&ns=Notify&ev=Poll&prfltncy=0&prfrpccnt=0&prfrpcltncy=0&prfldpcnt=0&prfldpltncy=0&prfavlcnt=0&prfavlltncy=0 443 protodomwolverine 1.2.120.53 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+7.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+Trident/4.0;+SLCC2;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729;+.NET+CLR+3.0.30729;+Media+Center+PC+6.0;+InfoPath.3) exchangeth 200 0 0"
Is this the correct line I should be looking at?

thanks,

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The basic problem here is that the WebApplication is not being extracted.

The proper IIS sourcetype is "MSWindows:2003:IIS" - first of all, do a search for

eventtype=client-iis-logs

Make sure the cs_uri_stem field is being extracted. If it isn't, then it's likely that there have been changes in the format of the IIS logs. Take a typical IIS log file (on disk) and look at the first ten lines. The format of the file is clearly described. Then alter the transforms.conf for the stanza mswin_2003_iis_fields to match what you are actually seeing on disk.

Once the cs_uri_stem has been properly extracted, you can move on to the WebApplication field. This should just appear once cs_uri_stem is working, but, again, it depends on what you are actually seeing.

Drainy
Champion

I've spun this off as its own quesiton as I think the other user may have just been confused and not added the inputs whilst yours is a bit more specific 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...