Splunk Search

Eval replace function not working

k_harini
Communicator

I was trying to create calculated fields as field values are huge. For 1 field I could do that. For other field where values are lengthy i could not do with eval replace
EVAL-Category = replace('Category',"Change Request","CR")
EVAL-Category = replace('Category',"Central Functions","CF")
EVAL-Category = replace('Category',"Materials Management (MM)","MM")

Also tried with query - index="myindex"| stats values(Category) |eval Category = replace(Category,"Change Request","CR") is not working
Values are like Change Request-Structural Method-blah blah.. I want to replace with short form for values.. How to get that? Please suggest

Tags (1)
0 Karma

k_harini
Communicator

Thanks for response everyone.. None of these are working.. My field values are like "Change Request - HR & Payroll - Time Management (TM)" and "Change Request - Logistics - Materials Management (MM)".. I have to replace part of the string in each field value.. Im able to get this done with rex and sed..
rex field=categories mode=sed "s/Change Request/CR/" |rex field=categories mode=sed "s/Central Functions/CF/"

But i want to add this as calculated field using eval.. Any ideas on this..? Thanks a lot..

0 Karma

JDukeSplunk
Builder

I used "Eval Case" to replace the values similar to this. We ended up using a lookup table, since there were 70 possible values and the query was thus very long.

Here's a snippet of my code that you could adapt. In my case, I wanted to add the more verbose value. So PEGA0001 was replaced with the longer version after the comma. The 1=1, "Google It.." at the end is a catch all, for any value not defined in the case string.

|eval PegaAlertV=case(PegaAlert="PEGA0001","PEGA0001-HTTP interaction time exceeds limit", 
 PegaAlert="PEGA0002","PEGA0002-Commit operation time exceeds limit", 
 PegaAlert="PEGA0003","PEGA0003-Rollback operation time exceeds limit", 
 PegaAlert="PEGA0004","PEGA0004-Quantity of data received by database query exceeds limit", 
 PegaAlert="PEGA0056","PEGA0056-Defragmentation of the table associated with class System-Locks takes too long",
 1=1,"Google It..") 

-JD

0 Karma

lakromani
Builder

Try this:

query - index="myindex"| stats values(Category) | replace "Change Request" WITH "CR" IN Category 

All in one go:

query - index="myindex" 
| stats values(Category) 
| replace "Change Request" WITH "CR" 
  , "Central Functions" WITH "CF"
  , "Materials Management (MM)" WITH "MM" IN Category
0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

index="myindex"| stats values(Category) |eval Category = replace(Category,"Change Request","CR")
replace should not be used like this with eval, i think. i remember this one should be "Case"
please try -

index="myindex"| stats values(Category) |eval Category = case(Category,"Change Request","CR") 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...