All Apps and Add-ons

Entering the client_id and client_secret in the Box App input

brandongharper
Engager

On the Splunk for Box setup screen where you log into Box.com to get the first access and refresh token I get the error below. When I click the link for Box modular input, it doesn't provide entry boxes for those 2 pieces of information. Where do I enter this information?

Client ID

It doesn't look like you have set your client_id and client_secret in the Box modular input. Before you can authenticate to Box, please update the Box Modular Input with a valid client ID and client secret, then return to this setup page.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

sorenmaigaard
Path Finder

Hi.

After spending quite a bit of time on this, I finally got a good tip from Box which was to use another browser.
For some weird reason, using Safari on an iPad (and not IE11 on a PC) made all the problems go away.

This is really strange and I cannot explain it. But at least for me, this did the trick.

My best guess is a browser incompatibility issue with the Box app.

Best
Soren

View solution in original post

sorenmaigaard
Path Finder

Hi.

After spending quite a bit of time on this, I finally got a good tip from Box which was to use another browser.
For some weird reason, using Safari on an iPad (and not IE11 on a PC) made all the problems go away.

This is really strange and I cannot explain it. But at least for me, this did the trick.

My best guess is a browser incompatibility issue with the Box app.

Best
Soren

brandongharper
Engager

It does look like a browser issue. I have the same issue on version 1.2 with Win 8.1 and IE 11. Works fine with Chrome.,Soren,

I have the same issue with version 1.2 on Windows 8.1 and IE 11. It indeed looks like a browser issue. I cannot enter the box creds. It works with Chrome.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I did a lot of editing of the follow-on comments, converting them from answers to comments. I then accepted the prevailing answer which does seem to be correct.

P.S. folks, please try to only add a new "Answer" if it is answering the question at hand. Otherwise, just click in a comment box area to add a comment that's related either to the original question, or to one of the existing answers. That helps to keep the site clear of clutter and makes it easy for the next person to actually find the answer to their question. TIA

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

Before you start

• Grab the latest version of the app (v1.1 as of this writing) which has addressed a couple of bugs, and has a new app ID and name.
  • The app requires that your Box account has admin console access. See this FAQ for more details.

To configure the app/authentication:

1. Go to Manage Apps
  2. To the right of the Box App for Splunk listing, click on the Setup link (example localhost link)
  3. Follow the on-screen directions to Login With Box which will initiate an OAuth permission request back to Box.
  4. Once back in Splunk, click the Save button. After a few moments, a confirmation will appear at the top that the app was successfully edited. This activity creates AND configures a Box modular input called "myboxinput".

To confirm that the modinput is working, check to see if new events are being written to the box index. For example:

index=box sourcetype="box-rest-api"

The modinput writes errors to splunkd.log. Search for them with:

index=_internal box component=ExecProcessor
0 Karma

sorenmaigaard
Path Finder

Hi

We are having this problem as well.
My Box account has admin privileges in our Box enterprise environement, and it has developer access as well.
My Splunk account has admin privileges.

I have installed the v 1.1 of the app, edited the domains.csv and ensured we had ssl enabled (already did).
When I go to manage apps, and click setup, I get the same warning as the others:

Client ID

It doesn't look like you have set your client_id and client_secret in the Box modular input. Before you can authenticate to Box, please update the Box Modular Input with a valid client ID and client secret, then return to this setup page.
Please click "Login With Box" to begin the OAuth authentication process. You will need to log into Box, click "Grant access to Box", and then save the Splunk configuration when complete.
Please click "Save" within 30 seconds to complete your Box authentication. This will validate the OAuth code and begin collecting data.

If I click "Login With Box" anyway, I get this error:
There was an error retrieving the configuration, can not process this page.

If I do look at the Box Modular Input, and click "myboxinput", I see that OAUTH2 access token and refresh token are blank.

What do I do from here?

Thanks!

Best
Soren

0 Karma

sorenmaigaard
Path Finder

OK. I went into the app directory and deleted the inputs.conf from the local folder and kept the default inputs.conf.

Same result.

Then copied the default inputs.conf into the local folder.

Same result.

Then added the client ID and client secret from my dev/admin box account to the inputs.conf.

Same result.

Checked that permissions were correct on the folders. All good.

It looks like the app is having a hard time reading the inputs.conf file (pure guess).

Has this app been tested to run on a Windows host?

Best
Soren

0 Karma

sorenmaigaard
Path Finder

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply.

I cannot (at least from the UI) remove the "myboxinput", but I can disable it. If I do that, the result is the same.

I would show you exactly what happens, but I am not allowed to attach files or screen shots in this forum it seems.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Best
Soren

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

Try removing the existing modinput, then go to Setup and see if that behaves differently?

0 Karma

jasoncornell
Explorer

I am encountering the same issue. Has anyone figured out a way to resolve this?

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

I did a lot of editing of the follow-on comments, converting them from answers to comments. I then accepted the prevailing answer which does seem to be correct.

P.S. folks, please try to only add a new "Answer" if it is answering the question at hand. Otherwise, just click in a comment box area to add a comment that's related either to the original question, or to one of the existing answers. That helps to keep the site clear of clutter and makes it easy for the next person to actually find the answer to their question. TIA

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...