Splunk Search

Does splunk suppress a scheduled search when it is being used to backfill?

msarro
Builder

Pretty simple question - we have a search head pool, and one box is currently using the backfill script to run a scheduled search for the past year. The same search is scheduled to run every 5 minutes. I noticed that since we kicked off the backfill script, there don't seem to be any newer entries in the summary index since before we kicked off the backfill. Does running the backfill script suppress the running of a scheduled search?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jtrucks
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

IIRC, there will only be one instance of a specific scheduled search running at any given time. I see this happening, also, when I schedule a search to happen before the previous run finishes. For example, a search that takes 3 minutes to complete is scheduled to run every minute. I will have two schedule searches fail to launch before the first one completes, then on the fourth minute, the search fires correctly again, followed by two more launch fails. You can get around this by creating a different named search to run while the backfill script is operating. They could do the same things, but they have to be different search names.

--
Jesse Trucks
Minister of Magic
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...