Monitoring Splunk

Disk Rate of Change Monitor

ericca

I'd like to detect when disk rate of change exceeds 20% within a 1 hour period and the search below works for a single host and fails when searching all hosts.

Search:
index="os" sourcetype="df" host="*" | multikv fields FileSystem, UsePct | strcat host '@' Filesystem Host_FileSystem |eval UsedPct=rtrim(UsePct,"%")| convert num(usedPct)| stats first(UsedPct) as previous, last(UsedPct) as current | eval rateofchange=current/previous | rename rateofchange as "% Rate of Change" | where current/previous > 20

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

I think it will work if you just add "by Host_FileSystem " to your stats command. I would also use earliest and latest instead of first and last. And I think that you may need need to adjust your calculation.
You are expressing the disk usage in percentage already. What does "% Rate of Change" really mean? If you were using 30% of the filesystem and are now using 40% of the file system one hour later, the rate of change is 10% per hour. Or you could compute the "rate of change" based on prior usage, so it would be 10/30*100 = 33%. Dividing current by previous gets you a ratio, but not a percentage...

index="os" sourcetype="df" host="*" 
| multikv fields FileSystem, UsePct  
| strcat host '@' Filesystem Host_FileSystem 
| eval UsedPct=rtrim(UsePct,"%")
| convert num(usedPct)
| stats earliest(UsedPct) as previous, latest(UsedPct) as current by Host_FileSystem 
| eval rateofchange=round((current-previous)/previous,2) 
| where rateofchange > 20
| rename rateofchange as "% Rate of Change" 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I think it will work if you just add "by Host_FileSystem " to your stats command. I would also use earliest and latest instead of first and last. And I think that you may need need to adjust your calculation.
You are expressing the disk usage in percentage already. What does "% Rate of Change" really mean? If you were using 30% of the filesystem and are now using 40% of the file system one hour later, the rate of change is 10% per hour. Or you could compute the "rate of change" based on prior usage, so it would be 10/30*100 = 33%. Dividing current by previous gets you a ratio, but not a percentage...

index="os" sourcetype="df" host="*" 
| convert num(usedPct)
| stats earliest(UsedPct) as previous, latest(UsedPct) as current by Host_FileSystem 
| eval rateofchange=round((current-previous)/previous,2) 
| where rateofchange > 20
| rename rateofchange as "% Rate of Change" 
0 Karma

ericca

Your suggestion worked !!! I modified the stats command per your suggestion to return a percentage.

index="os" sourcetype="df" host="*" earliest=-2h@h latest=@h

| convert num(usedPct)
| eval rateofchange=round(((current-previous)/previous)*100,2)
| where rateofchange > 1
| table _time host Host_FileSystem previous current rateofchange

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...