Knowledge Management

Difference between splunk DB connect and Splunk MYSQL connector

rupali12
Explorer

What is the Difference between splunk DB connect and Splunk MYSQL connector?

0 Karma

jpass
Contributor

I've used both over the past 7 or 8 months. I no longer need MySQL Connector.

The MYSQL Connector was useful for exploring databases & querying data. But it fell short of doing what I really wanted to do which was monitor & index events stored in databases. You can't create inputs with MySQL connector. For example, say you keep your logs in a database table that's updated constantly. You wouldn't be able to automatically monitor & index that data with MySQL Connect. Sure, you can explore your tables & query the data from Splunk with MySQL COnnector.

With Splunk DB Connector you can create inputs. It's not much different than pointing Splunk at a directory to index log files that reside there.

DB Connect also allows you to easily connect different kinds of databases. I think MySQL Connector mainly targets....you know...MySQL 🙂

rupali12
Explorer

ok Thanks for ur rspns. 🙂

0 Karma

stefano_guidoba
Communicator

Hi Rupali,

directly taken from Splunk MySQL Connector page: *The Splunk DB Connect app does everything this one does and more! *

Basically, as I'm currently using Splunk DB Connect, I can say that it's an easy interface to connect to every database. We've used it for MS SQLServer, MySQL, Oracle and, adding a jar from IBM, DB2, without any issues.
I suggest you should try and use it, instead of Splunk MySQL Connector.
Regards,

Stefano

rupali12
Explorer

ok.Thanks for ur rply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...