Splunk Search

Detecting Multiple Logins where distinct count

willadams
Contributor

I am trying to figure out how to create a search where I am using multiple counts for an alert I am wanting to write. The alert is effectively looking for a number of accounts failing authentication to a particular service.

An example query may be

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-") | bucket _time span=5m  | timechart count(Source_Network_Address) by Source_Network_Address

The problem with this search is that while it works, I am trying to expand on it further. It shows my a total count irrespective of the number of times an account has tried. My use case in this scenario is as follows:

I want to be able to identify where the total number of users exceeds a threshold value but the account was only tried once over a short period of time. So if I simply the scenario

• Service = myapp
  • Period of time is 5mins
  • Looking for a threshold of 30 (total count) where the count if for each user with a count of "1".
  • Location (source) is 101.101.101.101

So if looking at a log file as example

07:30 - 07:35
myapp account_login=User1
myapp account_login=User2
myapp account_login=User3
myapp account_login=User4
myapp account_login=User5
myapp account_login=User6
myapp account_login=User7
myapp account_login=User8

So if the count of User1=1 AND User2=1 AND User3=1 AND User4=1........etc. and the total count was 30 (so 30 users) then tell me about it.

I tried something along the lines of

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")   User!=*$" | bucket _time span=5m  | timechart count(Source_Network_Address) by User  | where count > 30

or

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")   User!=*$" | bucket _time span=5m  | timechart dc(User) by Source_Network_Address | where count > 30

or

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")  User!=*$" | bucket _time span=5m  | stats dc(user) as TotalUser by user

or

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")  User!=*$" | bucket _time span=5m  | stats dc(user) as TotalUser by user

or

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")  User!=*$" | bucket _time span=5m  | stats count by user | timechart count(Source_Network_Address) by Source_Network_Address

But none of these work or I don't get any visualizations or tabulated data to show me the event.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

If you want to find all Source_Network_Address instances that have more than 30 failed logons in 5min, but just one attempt per username, try this:

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-") | bucket _time span=5m  | stats dc(user) as usercount count by _time,Source_Network_Address | where usercount=count AND count>30

This counts the number of attempts and the distinct number of user names attempted per source address (per 5min window). If those 2 counts are the same, that means each attempt was for a unique user.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

If you want to find all Source_Network_Address instances that have more than 30 failed logons in 5min, but just one attempt per username, try this:

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-") | bucket _time span=5m  | stats dc(user) as usercount count by _time,Source_Network_Address | where usercount=count AND count>30

This counts the number of attempts and the distinct number of user names attempted per source address (per 5min window). If those 2 counts are the same, that means each attempt was for a unique user.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@willadams, are you looking for something similar to this ?

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" NOT Source_Network_Address IN("192.168.0.1","-")   User!=*$"
|timechart span=5m count(Source_Network_Address) by user
|addtotals row=true|where Total > 30
Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

willadams
Contributor

I altered my search so that it reads as follows:

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" Source_Network_Address IN("1.2.3.*","5.6.7.*")   User!=*$"  |timechart span=5m dc(user) by Source_Network_Adress | addtotals row=true | where Total > 30

My results end up with the following table

_time| 1.2.3.98 | 1.2.3.46 | 5.6.7.10 | 5.6.7.241 | Total
2019-11-12 10:30:00 | 1001 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1002
2019-11-12 10:35:00 | 569 | 0 | 1 | 1 | 571

Is there a way that I can remove the values that are "0" or "1" as to only have the value 1.2.3.98 showing as this is the information I am interested in.

I tried the following

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" Source_Network_Address IN("1.2.3.*","5.6.7.*")   User!=*$"  |timechart span=5m dc(user) by Source_Network_Adress | addtotals row=true | eventstats sum(Source_Network_Address) by Source_Network_Address | where Total > 30

and the following

index=windows user="USER*" signature="User name is correct but the password is wrong" Source_Network_Address IN("1.2.3.*","5.6.7.*")   User!=*$"  |timechart span=5m dc(user) by Source_Network_Adress | stats count by Source_Network_Address as Total | where Total > 30

Both queries return no results found.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I suggest brushing up on your basics regarding the use of stats etc. You're doing impossible things. You can't sum ip addresses like sum(Source_Network_Address), you can't put as Total at the end of a stats command after the by clause.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...