Deployment Architecture

Deployment server with forwarder management

rbarbany

We have a distributed arquitecture with two Heavy forwarders as deployment servers, in differents geographical sites, and the indexer in AWS. All of them are running very well, but now we have a new requeriment to deploy Universal Forwarders on machines that have the mngt port in use by other software. This software is prioritary and we can't change it.

Is it possible to have some universal forwarders configured with a port different than 8089 taking in account that the deployment server has this port asigned.

UF A:8089 <--> HeavyForwerder (deploy server): 8089 <--> UF B:8XXX

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Think about what is happening here. The Deployment Client (your UF), will create a socket and the network stack will pick a random available port to use as the source port to open a connection to port 8089 on the Deployment Server. Source port 8089 has nothing to do with anything. So you do not have a problem here; carry on as normal.

0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator

You can use any port as a management port, just ensure that you explicitly mention it wherever applicable. It's not a new, there are instances where people have changed there management port on forwarder.
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/293929/is-it-possible-to-change-the-current-port-8089-of.html

0 Karma

rbarbany

Thanks for the reply. I know the possibility of changing the port, but we can not change it in the whole infrastructure, we need to make a "mix"

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

Run this on those machines:

splunk set  splunkd-port 8090

You might want to have every machine use the same port though. Might cause some glitching if you use two different ports.

0 Karma

rbarbany

Thanks, I think like you. I imagined that mixing ports can cause problems.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...