Deployment Architecture

Deployment Monitor and fieldformat

moreda
Explorer

The searches (or macros) which last term is:

… | fieldformat "Last Connected"=strftime('Last Connected', "%D %H:%M:%S %p")

show the expected format in the table view. Although, I have a problem when the results are included in an alert email as the field "Last Connected" shows a UNIX time formatted timestamp.

As a workaround to have human readable timestamps in alert emails I'm using:

… | eval "Last Connected"=strftime('Last Connected', "%D %H:%M:%S %p")

instead of the original term.

I guess there's a good reason to use fieldformat instead of eval, but I didn't find a better way to solve my problem. Any ideas about this?

Thank you.

mkinsley_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

fieldformat allows us to keep the underlying value , only affecting how it is displayed. This is very useful for things like sorting timestamps or for example sorting by day of the week.

eval changes the underlying value . In the above it would permanently convert the integer epoch time to a string.

I think you found the ideal solution for this problem.

0 Karma

moreda
Explorer

Yes, yes, I knew about the difference (and it's nice to confirm it). My question was more about the usage in this specific case.
Thank you 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...