Splunk Search

Data indexed but not displayed in Search in splunk enterprise

samsingnok52
Engager

Hi Team,

I have successfully indexed the data but it is not getting displayed in Search, don't know what has gone wrong. Its a file-upload(one time indexing) type of data input configuration and i have created a new index for that particular file and a new sourcetype also.
I could able to see the logs while configuring the event breaking and timestamp format, but when i am searching for that particular index and sourcetype , i couldnt able to find any logs in the search head.
Kindly help me to identify the issue.

Its seems like a strange issue as iam experiencing it in even after two times reinstallation of splunk enterprise in my linux testing server.

Note: iam not experiencing this issue in any of the another linux server.

0 Karma

baldwintm
Path Finder

You could run a metadata search to see what time stamp is on the earliest and latest event.

| metadata type=sourcetype index=*

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

I would be checking index _internal for messages showing how much data was indexed. If it doesn't show it, then it wasn't indexed. If it does show it, then you will be able to see WHERE it was indexed.

One possibility is that the user account you are using does not happen to have security access to that index.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@samsingnok52, would it be possible to give couple of mocked up rows from your file that you are trying to index. Please ensure to Anonymize/Mock any sensitive information. Also if possible the props.conf that you currently have.

Also have you checked index whether there are any events present. You can also use eventcount, tstats, dbinspect or metadata commands for this.

samsingnok52
Engager

Hi Niket,

Thanks for your comments.I will try and revert back.
As of now , I have reinstalled the splunk enterprise and trying from the scratch.....

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try expanding the time window to All Time. That will account for possible timestamp problems causing events to be indexed in the "future".

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

samsingnok52
Engager

i did searched for all time, but still couldnt able to find anything

0 Karma

teunlaan
Contributor

searching "all time" is "everthing in the past till NOW".
You need to select the date in the future, like @d+10y

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...