Installation

DBX: Problems after upgrading to 1.0.8

kochera
Communicator

Hi,

we're running the DBX App 1.0.4 in production. After upgrading to 1.0.8 we get the following error:

Encountered the following error while trying to save: In handler 'dbx-databases': Error connecting to database: java.sql.SQLException: Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor

Any idea what might cause this?

Cheers,
Andy

0 Karma
1 Solution

ziegfried
Influencer

The problem is probably that your Oracle instances are exposed using an SID and not a Service Name. Since the latter one seems to be the default for Oracle installations now, DB Connect defaults to contacting them using the Service Name since around 1.0.5. You should be able to add a setting to your connection in database.conf that enables the old behavior:

database.sid = true

If you're using multiple oracle instances and all of them are exposed the same way you can also set it as a default by adding a default stanza in database.conf:

[default]
database.sid = true

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

The problem is probably that your Oracle instances are exposed using an SID and not a Service Name. Since the latter one seems to be the default for Oracle installations now, DB Connect defaults to contacting them using the Service Name since around 1.0.5. You should be able to add a setting to your connection in database.conf that enables the old behavior:

database.sid = true

If you're using multiple oracle instances and all of them are exposed the same way you can also set it as a default by adding a default stanza in database.conf:

[default]
database.sid = true
0 Karma

kochera
Communicator

Problem solved. Used servicename instead of SID

kochera
Communicator

Hi Sigi,

I added the entry to dbx/local/database.conf and restart splunk. I still get the same error message when I try to add a new database connection.

$ cat etc/apps/dbx/local/database.conf
[default]
database.sid = true

cheers,
Andy

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...