Splunk Search

DB Lookup using SQL Server

dbuchanan46

Hello,

I have a simple search containing clientid that relates back to an ID in one of my SQL Server tables. The search is:

sourcetype="twitter.newIndex.stats" | chart count by clientId | sort -count by clientId

In my SQL Server Clients table I have a field called provId that is the same as ClientId in my Splunk search. I would like to display the Clients desciption(clientProj) based on this relationship. I've created the connection to the database and I have used DB Connect to create a query that displays all the project descriptions based on the same client ID. The actual query is:

SELECT provId, clientProj FROM dbo.Clients

What is the easiest way to use this query as a lookup within my Splunk Search? My clients will grow over time, so the table is not static.

Thanks for your help.

0 Karma

ilink_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check out the docs for creating a lookup with db connect. Make sure you index your lookup database table first. Also, it is probably best to avoid the dblookup command, at least in production.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...