Splunk Search

Create field from small subset of events

splunklearner12
Path Finder

I have a field for device types (desktop or mobile) and a field for the hostname. Only a small number of events contain the device type field but all contain the host field. I need to create a field that contains all mobile hosts, but return all events related to them and not just the ones that contain the device type field. I have managed to get a list of all mobile hosts, but I don't know how to put them all into a field that is independent of the existence of the device class field.
To get a list of mobile hosts I use this search: (device_class=mobile | dedup host | stats values(host))

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @splunklearner1234,

This will filter on the hosts that are part of the device_class mobile and return all events :

index=whereYourDataIs [search device_class=mobile |dedup host |return 100 host ]

Let me know if that works out for you.

Cheers,
David

View solution in original post

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @splunklearner1234,

This will filter on the hosts that are part of the device_class mobile and return all events :

index=whereYourDataIs [search device_class=mobile |dedup host |return 100 host ]

Let me know if that works out for you.

Cheers,
David

splunklearner12
Path Finder

Thanks it works, although it is pretty slow.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Yeah, thats because of the subsearch. If you want to accelerate the results then the best approach would be to store your mobile hosts in a lookup file and use that instead 🙂

0 Karma

splunklearner12
Path Finder

Ahh that's it. I've managed to create a lookup which is faster - thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...