Getting Data In

Create Australian locale?

the_wolverine
Champion

We need to get Splunk to display date formats using the Australian format of dd/mm/yyyy rather than the US format which will confuse users.

I have my browser set to en_AU as it's default language but Splunk doesn't seem to be picking it up. I can get it to use en_GB since Great Britain has the same date format but we can't have all users change their browser language to en_GB just for Splunk.

1 Solution

the_wolverine
Champion

The Australian locale, en_AU, does not ship with Splunk but since its exactly the same as en_GB you can do the following:

- cd to $SPLUNK_HOME/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/locale/
- cp -R en_GB en_AU
- restart Splunk

Your users who have their browsers set to en_AU should now see the correct date format.

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

For history: we surveyed our users and they said it would be quite confusing to have the locale work for some (browser) strings, but not for our UI text. For this reason, we chose to simply restrict the UI to the implemented locales by default, but allow users to add their own locales.

The case where you continue to want to use the english text but use the european date format is sort of the flaw here. You don't have to have your users set en_GB to the default, you could have en_GB be secondary to en_AU, and we'll pick the 'most liked' locale that you have.

Of course, you can also just do as tina says and dupe the en_GB locale. A symlink might even work. Adding it as a default synonym to en_GB would probably be a good choice. I guess the other probable sale locations are: Ireland, New Zealand, and to a lesser extent the Philippines and India. Seems like a pretty good Requirement/Enhancement request to just work with the english locale in such places out of the box.

the_wolverine
Champion

The Australian locale, en_AU, does not ship with Splunk but since its exactly the same as en_GB you can do the following:

- cd to $SPLUNK_HOME/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/locale/
- cp -R en_GB en_AU
- restart Splunk

Your users who have their browsers set to en_AU should now see the correct date format.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...