Splunk Search

Count number of events by item in a JSON Array

mzeb

Use case, I have JSON events that contain an array of US states. I want to count the number of events by state.

For instance
Event 1:
{[NY,MA,ME]}

Event 2:
{[NY,FL,NM]}

the query would produce results of:
NY 2
MA 1
ME 1
FL 1
NM 1

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

jacobpevans
Motivator

Assuming you properly ingested the data using a _json sourcetype, it would be done like as below. The "state" field name should be automatically extracted, but you did not say what it was in your question. The assumption is that Splunk is properly parsing the json which will give you a [State] field in a multi-valued field. You can then just expand the field and get a count of each.

| mvexpand [State]
| stats count by [State]
Cheers,
Jacob

If you feel this response answered your question, please do not forget to mark it as such. If it did not, but you do have the answer, feel free to answer your own post and accept that as the answer.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...