Splunk Search

Comparing Chart Results to field

jamie_leclair
Engager

This is my first time posting to the community, I hope this answer is not listed somewhere else.. if it is I have been unable to find it.

I create my own dashboards for everything and I am more or less trying to tackle my first data correlation attempt but so far have come up short.

The Dashboard I have created uses dynamically generated filters the field I am focused on at the moment is very simple; its "host" and it looks like this:

(Filter1)
$time_span$ index=$nexus_app_dc$ nexus_syslog_level=$nexus_loglevel$ $keyword$ | chart count by host

(THIS WORKS)

What I want to do is use the results of this chart to run another search against other data. I will provide an example

Lets say the chart comes back with the following:
"10.0.0.1"
"10.0.0.2"
"10.0.0.3"

I only want my next search to contain hosts that are in that list.. here is what I have so far:

$time_span$ index=dcxx_acs Address=$nexus_app_host$ | top limit=50 _time, User, Address, CmdSet | fields - count - percent

I guess in my mind I see it something like the following if I were to write it out manually

$time_span$ index=dcxx_acs Address=10.0.0.1 OR Address=10.0.0.2 OR Address=10.0.0.3| top limit=50 _time, User, Address, CmdSet | fields - count - percent

I hope at least some of this makes sense to some of you guys, any assistance is appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You just need to add your first search as subsearch filter in the second search. Since you're filtering based on a field name, the subsearch should return results with a field with same name (rename command added for that).

$time_span$ index=dcxx_acs [search $time_span$ index=$nexus_app_dc$ nexus_syslog_level=$nexus_loglevel$ $keyword$ | chart count by host | table host | rename host as Address ] | top limit=50 _time, User, Address, CmdSet | fields - count - percent

jamie_leclair
Engager

Wow, that worked... perfectly... I just spent the last hour playing with the map command without any luck.. You're a wizard sir.. and I thank you.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your problem is resolved, please accept the answer to help future readers.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...