Splunk Search

Commenting Search Code

reed_kelly
Contributor

I would like to add comments to my searches, saved searches, macros and just about anywhere that I write search syntax. I have searches that have dozens of lines and they still call macros to organize the syntax and reduce duplication.

I thought of adding a bunch of evals:

...| eval comment="Added splunk_server check to reduce load on slow indexers..."

But this has side effects and causes a slight increase in resource consumption.

Does anyone have a more elegant way to comment search code?

1 Solution

GregZillgitt
Path Finder

I created a do-nothing "comment.py" (and associated commands.conf stanza), dropped it into the search app's bin directory, and voila! Now I can do this:

... some commands | COMMENT This is a comment | ... more commands

Here's comment.py:

import splunk.Intersplunk

def docomment(results, settings):
    # do nothing
    splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

results, dummyresults, settings = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()
results = docomment(results, settings)

commands.conf:

[comment]
retainsevents = true
streaming = true
filename = comment.py

That's it!

Quick & dirty deploy: drop comment.py in $SPLUNK__HOME/etc/apps/search/bin, commands.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local, and restart.

Probably should be packaged in its own app using the new templated approach.

View solution in original post

keiichilam
Explorer

some extra cost in execution:
index=_internal * |head 1 | COMMENT TEST| COMMENT TEST| COMMENT TEST| COMMENT TEST| COMMENT TEST

Duration (seconds) Component Invocations Input count Output count
0.23 command.COMMENT 5 5 5

But This is really nice!

0 Karma

GregZillgitt
Path Finder

I created a do-nothing "comment.py" (and associated commands.conf stanza), dropped it into the search app's bin directory, and voila! Now I can do this:

... some commands | COMMENT This is a comment | ... more commands

Here's comment.py:

import splunk.Intersplunk

def docomment(results, settings):
    # do nothing
    splunk.Intersplunk.outputResults(results)

results, dummyresults, settings = splunk.Intersplunk.getOrganizedResults()
results = docomment(results, settings)

commands.conf:

[comment]
retainsevents = true
streaming = true
filename = comment.py

That's it!

Quick & dirty deploy: drop comment.py in $SPLUNK__HOME/etc/apps/search/bin, commands.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/search/local, and restart.

Probably should be packaged in its own app using the new templated approach.

steveyz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Unfortunately, this approach means that the comment command ends up de-serializing and re-serializing every event from and to CSV in python. That's in general fairly costly.

A macro based approach would be best. Basically define a comment macro that evaluates to the empty string regardless of the input argument.

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

reed_kelly
Contributor

This is a great solution to the problem, so I gave it the check! I would still like to see a native solution from Splunk, however. For example, I might want to do something like the following to comment pieces of a SPL. (similar to C-style)

| timechart \/*limit=20*\/ limit=5 span=\/*5m*\/10m count by sourcetype

snoobzilla
Builder

Would this approach add noticeable overhead?

0 Karma

reed_kelly
Contributor

I found another thread on this with useful suggestions:

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/48865/add-a-comment-to-a-search

0 Karma

reed_kelly
Contributor

It would also be nice to be able to comment out a section of a search without deleting the original text. This may come in handy for a quick fix.

I think I should file an enhancement request. I was just fishing for ideas in the mean time.

0 Karma

reed_kelly
Contributor

Thanks. I want something that is a first-class citizen in the search command so that it is also passed to alert scripts and other Splunk things. It would also be nice to be able to copy and paste the entire search and know that you were grabbing the comments as well.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This isn't an answer per se, but I typically comment the search strings or macros within macros.conf itself, or perhaps the XML of a view / dashboard definition.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...