Getting Data In

Clearpass app not displaying important field in dashboards

Iwdavies
Path Finder

The Clearpass app is displaying data, however, it is missing populating major fields. when I look at the Search I also see these field missing in the search interesting fields, even though these fields exist in the raw data. Here is a list of the missing fields:

user_name
mac_addrees
ip_address
mac_vendor

There may be more but it just appears that the indexer isn't indexing these fields....

Any ideas?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Iwdavies
Path Finder

Here is an example of data that is being indexed but certain fields are missing from the "interesting fields". I have placed xxxx to remove certain data. Fields that are bold don't appear in the interesting field list:

Dec 11 14:55:48 x.x.x.x 2018-12-11 14:55:48,962 x.x.x.x CPPM_Dashboard_Summary 2957 1 0 session_id=R00005531-01-5c10400b,req_source=RADIUS,user_name=xxxxxxx,service_name=Employee Onboarding Onboard Provisioning,alerts_present=0,nas_ip=x.x.x.x,nas_port=0,conn_status=Unknown,login_status=ACCEPT,error_code=0,mac_address=xxxxxxxxxxxx,timestamp=2018-12-11 14:54:04-08,write_timestamp=2018-12-11 14:54:05.435015-08

0 Karma

Iwdavies
Path Finder

Here is an example of information in the log. bolded fields don't appear in the interesting fields section and x's have been used to replace certain values:

Dec 11 14:55:48 x.x.x.x 2018-12-11 14:55:48,962 x.x.x.x CPPM_Dashboard_Summary 2957 1 0 session_id=R00005531-01-5c10400b,req_source=RADIUS,user_name=xxxxxx,service_name=Employee Onboarding Onboard Provisioning,alerts_present=0,nas_ip=x.x.x.x,nas_port=0,conn_status=Unknown,login_status=ACCEPT,error_code=0,mac_address=xxxxxxxxxxxx,timestamp=2018-12-11 14:54:04-08,write_timestamp=2018-12-11 14:54:05.435015-08

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

What version of Splunk are you on...??
If you are on 7.2 and above, there is a change in Fieldalias behavior, you might have to check you props.conf...

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/693737/splunk-720-field-aliases-incorrect-behavior.html

0 Karma

Iwdavies
Path Finder

I'm not sure the field alias is the right issue. There are no "interesting fields" that would even hint as a user_name. or any of the other issues at top. It just isn't parsing the fields appropriately to generate the "interesting fields".

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

when you look into your clearpass app in splunk, you can see the missing fields that are aliased here... i.e $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/ClearPassOnSplunk_2/default/props.conf..

FIELDALIAS-cppm-24 = framed_ip_address AS ip_address
FIELDALIAS-cppm-016 = username as user_name
FIELDALIAS-cppm-acctnasip = nas_ip_address AS nas_ip
FIELDALIAS-cppm-019 = nad_ip AS nas_ip
FIELDALIAS-cppm-910 = host_mac AS mac_address
FIELDALIAS-cppm-911 = end_host_id AS mac_address
FIELDALIAS-cppm-911 = mac_address AS end_host_id
#FIELDALIAS-cppm-host = ClearPass_Server AS host

Let's take FIELDALIAS-cppm-24 = framed_ip_address AS ip_address, in this case you need to have either ip_address or framed_ip_address in your raw data, due to a change in FIELDALIAS behavior in 7.2...you have to change your configs like this...

#FIELDALIAS-cppm-24 = framed_ip_address AS ip_address
EVAL-ip_address = coalesce(ip_address, framed_ip_address)

so, before making any changes, I would check the raw logs on the source host(may be a syslog) to make sure I have the required fields in the log file itself or Splunk is not parsing the fields correctly...??

0 Karma

Iwdavies
Path Finder

We are using 7.2. I'm looking at the information you supplied and it is probably on the right track. I just don't know splunk well enough to understand how to configure the props.conf file and what the Fieldalias configs should look like. I'll write back when I know if that is the problem or not.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...