All Apps and Add-ons

Cisco Networks App/Add-on

splunknvi
Engager

I'm new to Splunk and was attempting to complete a quick deployment using network devices. I'm unable to get the Cisco Networks App to display any data. I'm not sure what I'm overlooking.

Software Versions:
Cisco Networks Add-on: 2.5.4
Cisco Networks (App): 2.5.4
Splunk: Free version 7.1

Procedure:
1) Splunk is operational.
2) Cisco App/Addon > Browse more apps > install both app and addon
EDIT: Restart of Splunk is completed.
3) Configure Data Input: UDP 514 > Source Type cisco:ios > App Context: Cisco Networks (cisco_ios) > Index: Default or Custom created. > Submit.

Performing either of the below searches provides syslog traffic (tested with Real-Time for firewall syslogs and results are flowing).

Queries:
source="udp:514"

sourcetype="cisco:ios"

Update 2018-05-28:
@rich7177: The service requests a restart after installation of the apps. Restarts were conducted after the installation as well as after configuration of the data input.

@xpac: As mentioned, I'm using my firewall to send syslogs (UDP/514) . These transactions have already been confirmed successful when entering the above queries.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ptang_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi splunknvi,

First: It would be good to know how is your Splunk architecture, especially how are you feeding the Syslog to Splunk.
Are you simply using a standalone instance that does both the Search Head and Indexer? From your post, I would assume it is.
(The reason behind that question is to figure where is your parsing phase (Heavy Forwarder or Indexer), thus the Technical Add-on (TA) will need to be installed on that specific instance as well.)

• Since you are able to search sourcetype="cisco:ios" or source="udp:514", verify if the fields are being extracted accordingly.

Installation matrix:

• Install TA on the Search Head and Heavy Forwarder or Indexers (depending on your data flow)
  • Install the App on the Search Head only

Second: Syslog event format and data flow - it could be possible the events being received are not in the appropriate format expected by the TA. Feel free to share a raw event and obfuscate any confidential information and/or share us your data flow (ie: Syslog-ng server with UF --> IX).

Third: The next thing I would ask is: where is your data being indexed - which index? If you used a custom index (ie: index=cisco_ios), make sure the index is part of your "Indexes searched by default" in your user role. ( Settings > Access Controls > Roles > your_current_role > Indexes searched by default ). By default, Splunk will make the main index searched by default if an index is not specified in your SPL search.

• Example - This SPL search will only search inside the default searched indexes (default: index=main): eventtype=cisco_ios

Fourth: Edit the cisco_ios_index macro (default: index=ios) to include your index where the data resides. ie: index=ios OR index=your_index

Anyhow, let us know what you figured or require further assistance.

Regards,

Philippe

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Stupid question: Did you direct your Syslog on those devices to the IP of your Splunk instance?

0 Karma

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have your restarted Splunk since you finished step 3? (I have NO idea why this would be required, but it's worth a shot. 🙂 )

There are a couple of things in the app that might cause this -

First, it uses data models for most of the stuff I can see. If those aren't working right for some reason that could cause this.

The rest of the searches also use eventtype=cisco_ios-routing or similar in their search. When you run a search like sourcetype="cisco:ios" | stats count by eventtype, sourcetype what sorts of combinations do you get?

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

How is the event type 'cisco_ios-routing' defined? I don't see it in the app.

0 Karma

davebo1896
Communicator

Ah, it is in TA-cisco_ios

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, try that search @rich7177 posted, it might help you figure out the problem. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...