Installation

Cant able to install Universal Forwarder

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Team,

Previously Universal Forwarder have been installed with 7.0.7 version for Windows server (Windows Server 2012 R2) so I have uninstalled the UF from Control Panel and tried to reinstall with the same version but it throwed an error. Then i have used 7.0.8 version but still the setup got ended with an error as " UniversalForwarder Setup Wizard ended prematurely

UniversalForwarder Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard gain. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

So kindly let me know where it lacks since I have completely removed from Control Panel and tried to install but still its throwing an error. I have also rebooted the server and tied the installation as well but still the same error.

So kindly help to check and help me on the same.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

In this case, I'll try to install UF from command line with below command which produces logs in Verbose mode in C:\TEMP\SplunkInstall.log. Additionally run command prompt or powershell in Admin Mode (Run as Administator) to run below command (Replace <splunkforwarder......>.msi with actual msi name)

msiexec.exe /i <splunkforwarder......>.msi AGREETOLICENSE=Yes LAUNCHSPLUNK=0 /l*v C:\TEMP\SplunkInstall.log
0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Hey @anandhalagarasan,

Can you check if any splunk process that is running?Kill the process and again freshly install the forwarder.
Try referring the below link:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42448139/how-to-kill-a-specific-task-in-windows-2012-server

Let me know if this helps!!

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

@deepashri_123,

Thanks for your response.
Splunk process (splunkd.exe) is not running in server I have double checked from the server end as well but still i couldn't able to install the UF. Can you kindly help to check and help on the same.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Have you checked in the installer log? I would think that would be your best indication of what is occurring.
Also, once you uninstalled the original version of the UF, did it leave the folder in program files?

I wonder if it did not cleanly uninstall.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

@nickhillscpl where can i locate the installer log from the client machine

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...