Installation

Cannot create Index

deepakc
Explorer

Hi
(I'm new to splunk )

Environment: Splunk 7.1 / RHEL6.5

I have create my own log file for test purposes / learning (its like a syslog log) and I can see the data in splunk. But when I try to create an index for it I get the error below, does anyone know what could be causing this ?

ERROR MESSAGE:

Data could not be written: /nobody/search/indexes/testosboot/thawedPath: $SPLUNK_DB/testosboot/thaweddb

Rgdsalt text
Dee

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Does the path

/var/splunkdata/security 

exist and is it writable by the splunk user?

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

deepakc
Explorer

I should have rebooted after uninstalling version 7.0 and then perform a clean install of version 7.1

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Cold and Thawed paths aren't pointing to /var/splunkdata/security, at least the screenshot doesn't indicate it is. Those paths still make use of $SPLUNK_DB, which isn't discernible from what was posted.

You may need to define cold and thawed path explicity, unless $SPLUNK_DB is set to something that makes sense (has sufficient space and is writeable by the splunk user).

0 Karma

deepakc
Explorer

thanks for the pointers, by uninstalling it and reinstalling, then checking the permissions, its working now

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Does the path

/var/splunkdata/security 

exist and is it writable by the splunk user?

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

deepakc
Explorer

thanks I did checked the permissions, and it was correct as I could write to the folder as the user , I uninstalled it all, rebooted, reinstalled 7.1 and after it was ok... (so I must have made a mistake somewhere and did have version 7.0 installed, which I uninstalled but did not reboot)

thanks for the pointers

Dee

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...