Archive

Cannot apply reset license on 4.2 indexer > Detected old style forwarder license. ignoring

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have exceeded the maximum 5 violations on my indexer and tried to apply a the reset license (temporary, valid for 3 days) by selecting "copy & paste the license XML directly". The following message banner displays:

Bad request - In handler 'licenses': web_1234578910.1.lic failed to parse license because: Detected old style forwarder license. ignoring...

What do I need to do?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The error is due to attempting to apply an old 4.0.x/4.1.x version reset license.
Contact Splunk Support to obtain a 4.2 reset license.

In an environment where you have multiple Splunk versions running also ensure the reset license key that is being applied is for the appropriate version.

The email notification with the reset license key would indicate the Splunk version at the end of its content.

Below is the text you would currently see for:

4.0.x/4.1.x

License Details:
Product: Splunk Enterprise
Size: 1 MB
Version: 4.x
Expiration Date: March 26, 2011 10:11am

4.2.x

License Details:
Product: Splunk Enterprise Reset Warnings
Version: 4.2.x
Expiration Date: March 26, 2011 11:24am

View solution in original post

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The error is due to attempting to apply an old 4.0.x/4.1.x version reset license.
Contact Splunk Support to obtain a 4.2 reset license.

In an environment where you have multiple Splunk versions running also ensure the reset license key that is being applied is for the appropriate version.

The email notification with the reset license key would indicate the Splunk version at the end of its content.

Below is the text you would currently see for:

4.0.x/4.1.x

License Details:
Product: Splunk Enterprise
Version: 4.x
Expiration Date: March 26, 2011 10:11am

4.2.x

License Details:
Product: Splunk Enterprise Reset Warnings
Version: 4.2.x