Splunk Search

Can you help me change the format of this date field?

sheaross
Explorer

I have a modify date field in my ingested data. The date format of this field is MMDDYY with no "/" or "-".

Is there a way to change the format of this field during search to where it can be MM/DD/YYYY?

Also, I want the search to be able to read this modify field to only search and display events from the previous day. The ingested data is a complete file with only new entries added to the ingested data, so I can't use the time picker for last 24 hours. It will retrieve the entire file.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Vijeta
Influencer

You can use this

|eval c=len(<yourdatefieldname>)|eval y="0".<yourfieldname>|eval x = if(c=5,y,<yourfieldname>)|eval date=strftime(strptime(x,"%m%d%y"),"%Y/%m/%d")

View solution in original post

Vijeta
Influencer

You can use this

|eval c=len(<yourdatefieldname>)|eval y="0".<yourfieldname>|eval x = if(c=5,y,<yourfieldname>)|eval date=strftime(strptime(x,"%m%d%y"),"%Y/%m/%d")

Super Champion

In search query you can change time format-

...|eval date=strftime(strptime(<yourfieldname>,"%m%d%y"),"%m/%d/%Y")

also if you use TIME_FORMAT stanza in props.conf to set your time field as _time then you can use time range to search data...so that _time will be your time field

sheaross
Explorer

That works, for the dates that MMDDYY and I did not mention that some of the date do not have a 0 in front of the month. For example: September is 9 instead of 09. This query will only for months with two digits.
Any other ideas?

0 Karma

Super Champion

you can append leading zero to month if it is not present.-

|eval length=len(<yourfieldname>)|eval mon="0".<yourfieldname> |eval <yourfieldname> = if(length=5,mon,<yourfieldname>)|eval date=strftime(strptime(<yourfieldname>,"%m%d%y"),"%m/%d/%Y")
0 Karma

sheaross
Explorer

This answer worked for the leading zero.

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...