Installation

Can we use same developer license for multiple standalone Splunk Instances?

chitra
Explorer

Can i use the same developer license for multiple instance as I have 5 non production splunk instances.

What is the difference between "Splunk Developer Personal License NOT FOR RESALE " labelled license and "Splunk Developer Personal License DO NOT DISTRIBUTE" labelled license ? Is there any significant difference between these two?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

From the license agreement:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-software-license-agreement.html

2.3 Test and Development Software. If the applicable Order specifies that any Software is provided under a test and development license, then subject to Customer’s compliance with this Agreement, Splunk grants to Customer a nonexclusive, worldwide, nontransferable, nonsublicensable license during the applicable Term to install and use the Test and Development Software within the Licensed Capacity in a non-production system used for software product migration testing, software product pre-production staging, testing new data sources, types or use cases, or other non-production use. In no way should the Test and Development Software be used for any revenue generation, commercial activity or other productive business or purpose. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, Splunk does not provide warranty (Section 10), or indemnification (Section 13) with respect to the Test and Development Software.

However, I would suggest you contact your account manager to test your intentions - The word 'personal' may imply it is issued to named individuals, and therefore unless you (and only you) are the sole user of all 5 instances you may be in breach,

I am not a legal expert, however Splunk are very pragmatic, and they will be able to advise you the best route forward.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

nickhills
Ultra Champion

From the license agreement:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/legal/splunk-software-license-agreement.html

2.3 Test and Development Software. If the applicable Order specifies that any Software is provided under a test and development license, then subject to Customer’s compliance with this Agreement, Splunk grants to Customer a nonexclusive, worldwide, nontransferable, nonsublicensable license during the applicable Term to install and use the Test and Development Software within the Licensed Capacity in a non-production system used for software product migration testing, software product pre-production staging, testing new data sources, types or use cases, or other non-production use. In no way should the Test and Development Software be used for any revenue generation, commercial activity or other productive business or purpose. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, Splunk does not provide warranty (Section 10), or indemnification (Section 13) with respect to the Test and Development Software.

However, I would suggest you contact your account manager to test your intentions - The word 'personal' may imply it is issued to named individuals, and therefore unless you (and only you) are the sole user of all 5 instances you may be in breach,

I am not a legal expert, however Splunk are very pragmatic, and they will be able to advise you the best route forward.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

chitra
Explorer

Thank You.

Yes I agree with you.

Can you please guide me on how to get the developer test license for any test instances? On whose name we have to request for developer license?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@chitra, you should contact the Splunk Sales team.

chitra
Explorer

Ok Thank You!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...