Splunk Search

Can we disable the inspect link from the search results ??

rakesh_498115
Motivator

Hi.

In my form search query yieds 0 results . i am getting the message " No results found " folowed by inspect link . i dnt want the users to click or see the inspect link..How can i do it ?? or is ter any way to display the custom messages..without the inspect link ??

Developers perspective i think inspect link is helpful.but for users i dnt wanna give a chance to click on the inspect link .

Thnx

Tags (1)
1 Solution

skawasaki_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In Splunk 6, the easiest way is

$(".alert-info:contains('No results found.')").parents('.dashboard-cell').hide()

A harder, but more complete way, is to control it individually per search/panel:

var MyView = mvc.Components.get('the_id_of_my_event');
var MyResults = MyView.data('results', {count: 1});

MyResults.on('data', function() {
    var data = this.data();

if(data.rows.length <= 0) {
        MyView.$el.parents('.dashboard-cell').hide();
    }
});

View solution in original post

yoho
Contributor

With Splunk 6, there's even a simpler way to make it because it's a built-in feature of simple XML. Read this documentation.

the_wolverine
Champion
  • 20 because I wanted to do this per view!
0 Karma

skawasaki_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In Splunk 6, the easiest way is

$(".alert-info:contains('No results found.')").parents('.dashboard-cell').hide()

A harder, but more complete way, is to control it individually per search/panel:

var MyView = mvc.Components.get('the_id_of_my_event');
var MyResults = MyView.data('results', {count: 1});

MyResults.on('data', function() {
    var data = this.data();

if(data.rows.length <= 0) {
        MyView.$el.parents('.dashboard-cell').hide();
    }
});

justgrumpy
Path Finder

For some reason I am a little leery of using ajaxComplete() it seems a little unfocused. It gets triggered for a lot of reasons that may have nothing to do with empty results.

I just figured out how to solve the problem with Sideview custom behaviors. The below example is triggered with a customBehavior param on a Table module:

Sideview.utils.declareCustomBehavior ("checkForResults", function(tableModule) {
    tableModule.onResultsRendered = function() {
      var search = this.getContext().get('search');
      if (search.job.getResultCount() == 0) {
        this.container.find('p.emptyResults').html('no results were found');
      }
    }
  });

When the Table module is finished rendering the table "content" it calls onResultsRendered. I can then check to see if there were any results and update the emptyResults paragraph if there were none.

kmattern
Builder

Edit lines 148 and 154 in Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\appserver\mrsparkle\controllers\module.py and remove the matching pyo file. And restart Splunk.

Here are the edits starting at 143

if msg == 'nodata':
            if entity_name == 'events':
                submsg = _('No matching events found.')
            else:
change this -->         # submsg = _('No results found.')
to this -->               submsg = _('Nothing to report')

# the inspect line belo was originally _('Inspect ...')
            output += '%s <span class="resultStatusHelp"><a href="#" onclick=%s class="resultStatusHelpLink">%s</a></span>' % (
                submsg,
                su.quoteattr("Splunk.window.openJobInspector('%s');return false;" % sid.replace("'", "")),

Change this line     # _('Inspect...')
To this                _('.')
            )

The last edit leqaves a clickable dot (we call it the "Magic Dot".) We know it's there but the customer does not. The first edit simply gives a friendlier response when there are no results.

skawasaki_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is highly unsupported and the changes will most likely be lost whenever you upgrade Splunk.

0 Karma

jjdorn
Explorer

The first sugguestion to hide it via the application.css file did work for hiding the inspection link application wide when a search came up empty.

jonuwz
Influencer

On a user role basis, that might be tricky.
I dont know if there's a 'default.js' that you can add to, or whether you can query what roles a user belongs to from within it - Other replies with suggestions on how to do this will be interesting.

On a per application level, there's a few options:

1) hide the link with css (add this to application.css)

.resultStatusHelpLink {
    display: none;
}

2) Hide it with js ( add this to application.js ).

$(document).ajaxComplete( function() {
    $('p.empty_results').css('display', 'none');
});

3) change the text with js

$(document).ajaxComplete( function() {
    $('p.empty_results').html('Ho Ho Ho. No results for you naughty children');
});

yoho
Contributor

Javascript is also executed on the client-side. You can selectively disable only this part of the javascript with firebug or even with the default firefox developer tools.

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

The 3rd option obliterates the link. You could bypass that by disabling JavaScript, but if you did that I doubt splunkweb would function at all.

0 Karma

yoho
Contributor

Good but it's just hidden on the client side... what if your user is your customer and you don't want him to find this possibility at all ? Any way to remove the link completely ?

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

Did any of these work out ?

0 Karma

jonuwz
Influencer

Its all jquery. Plenty of documentation for all the functions on jquery.com

rakesh_498115
Motivator

Thanks jonuwz..where can i found documentation for these functions ..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...