Deployment Architecture

Can i have just 2 search heads in a cluster

jiaqya
Builder

looking to have 2 node search head cluster.
so this means i need 3 servers, ie 2 members + 1 load balancer

if i assign a static captain, then can i go ahead with 2 node search head cluster, this is for dev envirionment.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Hi @jiaqya

EDIT: In my first response, I missed that you were thinking about 'dev'

In that case, and having reviewed the docs. it may be possible:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/DistSearch/Staticcaptain

However...
You may have some difficultiy bringing the SHC up because there will be no majority.

You can certainly use a static captain to bring up a cluster when there is no majority of surviving members, however I am not sure you will be able to initially bootstrap a cluster with just two nodes.

You could probably, build a 3 node SHC, then set a static captain and remove the third node, but this seems like a lot of effort once you have built 3 to start with

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Hi @jiaqya

EDIT: In my first response, I missed that you were thinking about 'dev'

In that case, and having reviewed the docs. it may be possible:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/DistSearch/Staticcaptain

However...
You may have some difficultiy bringing the SHC up because there will be no majority.

You can certainly use a static captain to bring up a cluster when there is no majority of surviving members, however I am not sure you will be able to initially bootstrap a cluster with just two nodes.

You could probably, build a 3 node SHC, then set a static captain and remove the third node, but this seems like a lot of effort once you have built 3 to start with

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

This 3 number is apart from the load balancer, correct ? so i need 4 systems..

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You need at least 3 search heads, and if your cluster spans more than one site/datacenter the recommendation is that you always use an odd number of members, so one site always has majority.

The load balancer can be nginx, ELB, F5, Netscaler etc (and at a pinch - DNS) - its not a Splunk sever.

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

Do i need a load balancer ? i could still access search heads directly via url right ?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

You can, but you will only ever hit one SH - the one whose url you used.
You can do it with DNS round robin, but this will only give you 'LOAD' balancing (and not massively effective) but it will not give you any HA or FT.

Since this is dev, you could install nginx/haproxy one one (or both) of the SHs and use it to act as a load balancer. Many of the caveats above apply, but it might help
https://sites.google.com/site/mrxpalmeiras/notes/splunk-sh-cluster-ha-proxy

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

Thanks, can you help on another one.

i am not able to locate a guide/document to setup the search head cluster.
all i am getting is what search head cluster means, but not getting steps to install one..

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

here you go:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/DistSearch/SHCdeploymentoverview

0 Karma

jiaqya
Builder

Thank you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...