Splunk Search

Can a lookup be used for renaming a field name?

simpkins1958
Contributor

Trying to figure out if can rename field names using lookup and CSV file. Something like this:

index=main d_name="*" | dedup d_name | table _time d_name plat d_man d_mod user | rename d_name TO value from csv lookup

csv file:
fieldname,tableheader
d_name, Device Name
plat, Platform
d_man, Manufacturer
d_mod, Model
user, User

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | rename [|inputcsv renameFields.csv| format "" "" "" "" "" "" | rex field=search mode=sed "s/ tableheader=/ AS /g s/fieldname=//g"]
0 Karma

ahansson89
Engager

I downvoted this post because does not work

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@ahansson89 - Downvoting should only be reserved for suggestions/solutions that could be potentially harmful for a Splunk environment or goes completely against known best practices. Simply commenting with more information about what didn't work and what you've tried (or whatever other info may be relevant) would suffice to help you troubleshoot further.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

index=main d_name="*" | dedup d_name |  table _time d_name plat d_man d_mod user | join d_name  [| inputlookup lookup.csv | rename fieldname AS d_name | ] | eval {tableheader}=d_name
0 Karma

simpkins1958
Contributor

Using rename command below is not working...

rename d_name as [| inputlookup fieldnames where fieldname="d_name" | return $tableheader]

0 Karma

diogofgm
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any reason to not just simply use FIELDALIAS in the props.conf of you sourcetype?

------------
Hope I was able to help you. If so, some karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...