Deployment Architecture

Can I specify another location for splunk to look for apps?

brent_weaver
Builder

I am working on automation and I would like to know if there is a way to configure splunk ALSO look to an alt directory (besides /opt/splunk/etc/apps) for configs. Like with the deployment server (which cannot be used btw to deploy) I can sync with the empty dir deployment-apps, therefore not deleting the existing files.

Hopefully this makes sense why I would need to do this!

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

As @hortonew suggested, what type of automation are you doing here, and what sort of system are you on? I have used symbolic links on *nix before to bring apps into a running Splunk system. But this was also for keeping my development dir outside of the Splunk install directory, and that has "worked" in the past, but I cannot speak as to how supported it would be.

hortonew
Builder

Can you walk through your automation? Is this automation on the universal forwarder level or on a splunk enterprise server? At what point do you need an empty directory for apps?

0 Karma

valiquet
Contributor

Don't write into system if you are in a distributed env. Better use apps. See bellow answer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...