Splunk Search

Bug? Custom drilldown cannot handle question mark

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Update: I found this question https://answers.splunk.com/answers/610037/my-search-string-is-truncated-after-a-question-mar.html that correctly identified the culprit as question mark ?.

If I want to do regex in drilldown, the link returns "Unbalanced quotes"; search windows shows the search as cut off at the first left parenthesis, even though the URL appears to contain the full string. The only difference I can see is that the URL contains something like q=sourcetype=%22mytype%22 instead of q=sourcetype%3D%22awx_json%22, i.e., all equal signs in the search is no longer encoded. If I do not have parenthesis after pipe, the drilldown automatically encodes equal sign. (Even so, it is not obvious why the resultant search window shows a cutoff at parenthesis.)

Additionally, if I urldecode the string, the resultant search is still invalid because the time range, as specified in tokens, gets attached to the last filter (with ampersands - instead of inserting into the first search command) which renders the last filter invalid.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Obviously this can be worked around by hard encoding, perhaps even hard code time range tokens, too. But this behavior is very undesirable.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Looks like @sabirmgd reported this a year ago in https://answers.splunk.com/answers/610037/my-search-string-is-truncated-after-a-question-mar.html and @mayurr98 diagnosed it correctly. The problem is in question mark, not in parenthesis. (The equal sign encoding is still odd.)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...