Deployment Architecture

Bucket files in Splunk & its file format. How to delete

dhsetty
Explorer

Hi All,

Deleting the bucket being the only way out to reclaim space, I have some queries on buckets.
All I have is "defaultdb" and "metaventdb" in my splunk which has .tsidx files and raw data.

Buckets with these file naming conventions "db_newesttime_oldesttime" are called bucket files?

Can I do a clean based on the .tsidx timestamp as well? or I need to delete the defaultdb/metaeventdb entirely as below ?

/data/third_party/splunk/bin/splunk clean eventdata -index main

Also the index names as mentioned in the document are "main", "_internal" and "_audit".
Is *.tsidx also the index?
How to identify a index directory?

If you can give an example of a bucket name, I could search for similar stuff in my splunk as well.

Thanks in advance.

Note: I'm using splunk version 3.4.14.2 as of now.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Version 3.4? There comes a time in all our lives when the only real answer is migrate to a supported version.

For instance, I was going to say in your indexes.conf set "maxTotalDataSizeMB" to some reasonable value on that index. But I don't think that's even valid on this version. More importantly, I can't even check if it's valid because the documentation available online only goes back to version 4.3. Version 4.3 was released in 2012.

I am sorry I can't even give you a proper upgrade path, because a direct upgrade doesn't exist.

What I could say is that it likely will pay you back many times over if you stand up a new box with Splunk 6.5+ and migrate the data coming in to it. Rebuild whatever it's doing onto a platform that's more current, is supported, has documentation available and is in active use by folks.

Give that a try, see how much better and easier is it. If you have problems at some point, we'll be able to help, then!

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Version 3.4? There comes a time in all our lives when the only real answer is migrate to a supported version.

For instance, I was going to say in your indexes.conf set "maxTotalDataSizeMB" to some reasonable value on that index. But I don't think that's even valid on this version. More importantly, I can't even check if it's valid because the documentation available online only goes back to version 4.3. Version 4.3 was released in 2012.

I am sorry I can't even give you a proper upgrade path, because a direct upgrade doesn't exist.

What I could say is that it likely will pay you back many times over if you stand up a new box with Splunk 6.5+ and migrate the data coming in to it. Rebuild whatever it's doing onto a platform that's more current, is supported, has documentation available and is in active use by folks.

Give that a try, see how much better and easier is it. If you have problems at some point, we'll be able to help, then!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...