Installation

Browser Unsupported on IE after upgrade to 6.2

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have upgraded to 6.2 and now when I go to splunkweb with ie10 I get a black page with this error
"This browser is not supported by Splunk.
Please refer to the list of Supported Browsers."

1 Solution

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check if you are using "compatibility mode" or document mode is set to ie7.
You can find document mode under settings "F12 Developer Tools".
You need to make sure any compatibility mode is off , ie 9 and higher will work.

View solution in original post

uclat

this is currently not a fix. when you open splunk 6.2.1 with internet explorer 9 or later you will get some url redirects.

e.g. open splunk with chrome results in first url: https://splunk:8000/en-GB/account/login?return_to=%2Fen-GB%2F

doing the same with Internet Explorer 11 ends up in https://splunk:8000/en-GB/account/login?return_to=%2Fen-GB%2F#en-GB/account/login?return_to=%2Fen-GB...

so what's going on here? why is the part #en-GB/account/login?return_to=%2Fen-GB%2F added to the URL in IE and why not in chrome.

it is so frustrating to work with splunk. there are so many bugs in the software which make it terrible.

0 Karma

MillerTime
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If there are any specific bugs that are making your experience frustrating please let your sales team know so that they can communicate your feedback to Splunk's product management team.

0 Karma

belka
Path Finder

The work around for IE is:

Click on the toothed cog in the upper right of the IE screen (just below the X)

The drop down box gives you a menu. Choose “Compatibility View Settings”

Uncheck the box “Display intranet sites in Compatibility View”

IE should work after that.

Or…just use Firefox.

Rob Frazier
CISSP, ISSAP, CSSA, CEREA

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Check if you are using "compatibility mode" or document mode is set to ie7.
You can find document mode under settings "F12 Developer Tools".
You need to make sure any compatibility mode is off , ie 9 and higher will work.

jcrabb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just to add one more note, found this to also be an issue if "Enterprise Mode" is checked under Tools in IE. That is not an option available by default but some environments will enable it to enforce compatibility.
alt text

Once unchecked, Splunk will not render correctly. Here is a link with more information about "Enterprise Mode":http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/43972-ie11-enterprise-mode-enable-disable-users.html

Jacob
Sr. Technical Support Engineer
0 Karma

lagnone_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, check for a site-wide Group Policy Object that manages IE. It can be set to turn on compatibility mode for all intranet sites. This will hide the setting from the GUI and make it more difficult to diagnose.

briansutherland
Explorer

Hit F12, look at the icons on the Left Hand side of the console at the bottom of your screen. Scroll down and hover over the icon until one says Emulation. You should then see on the right side a Mode Opetion at the very top , select 9 and your browser will allow you to login and work with Splunk.

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's an answer because it doesn't work in compatibility mode, the error is a little harsh and suggests it won't work with the browser at all however the issue is as simple as turning compatibility mode off.

0 Karma

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Is this an answer because it will work in compatibility mode?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...