Guys, what is valueSetter?
how does it work?
why we need it?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ValueSetter is a UI module that is a part of Sideview Utils.
Go to the Sideview Utils app in your Splunk instance and go to

"Module Documentation > The ValueSetter modules > The ValueSetter module"

In short, ValueSetter does a lot of simple $foo$-token setting and manipulation that comes in useful in quirky cases where you would otherwise need to write a little custom Javascript.

Some examples:

-- if you want to have a hidden default for some $foo$ token, you would use "allowClobber",
-- if you want to prepopulate a form element module like a CheckboxPulldown, that renders its options dynamically, you'd use a ValueSetter with the same value for the "name" param.
-- if you need to manually do various escaping or encoding steps on your $foo$ tokens in a very advanced case, there are params for that.

-- if you want to set some other $foo$ token to some value but only if one or more other $foo$ tokens have non-empty values, you would use "requiredKeys"
-- if you're doing very advanced stuff with multiple selection or line-break separated user input where you want to turn a key into an array and then turn that into a large boolean expression, you would use ValueSetter's "delim" param to split the key, and then ArrayValueSetter to construct your boolean expression.
-- if you want to do some simple conditional logic, setting some $foo$ tokens to different values depending on the values of other foo tokens, you would use one or more "if.*" params. (these are very advanced).

In short, ValueSetter is designed to come in handy in a very long list of annoying scenarios where you need something that's just a little bit smart. You can always define a Sideview customBehavior in your javascript but if you're not comfortable writing JS, ValueSetter can often get the job done.

Definitely make sure you're on the latest Sideview Utils, and check out the documentation at

"Module Documentation > The ValueSetter modules > The ValueSetter module"

Note that the latest version of Sideview Utils is 3.2 and that you can only get it from the Sideview site at http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/
It is free for internal use and if you have any questions about further licensing details they're most likely answered in this licensing FAQ: http://www.sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/licensing-faq/

jslealdi
Explorer

Hi. I want to do something but not sure If I can do it with Sideview > ValueSetter.

1. In some page or place set a var, let's say $my_alert_threshold = 1000.
  2. In the the dashboard X, use $my_alert_threshold in a graph.
  3. Also, use $my_alert_threshold in alert X as its trigger condition.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...