Splunk Search

Break into multiple events by time

rbonetti
Engager

Hi all,

I would like to break a line in multiple events in my log files, you can see the break condition in bold:

[10:27:21.937] DEBUG [RequestStatusTask] [c.s.t.p.a.c.d.p.PrinterWrapper] [onSequenceStatusChanged:758] printer 1 :Sequence State : READY / READY [10:27:22.500] DEBUG [AskCodeTask] [c.s.t.p.a.c.d.p.PrinterWrapper] [onPrinterBufferChanged:743] printer 1 :onPrinterBufferChanged, buffer status: LOW

Here is my props.conf, but it's not working:

[client_log]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = [\d\d:\d\d:\d\d.\d\d\d]

Thanks for your help

Tags (1)

Ayn
Legend

Two things:

First, the BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE directive is used in the line merging process - that is, given a number of lines, it tells (optionally in conjunction with other parameters) how Splunk should merge these lines into one event. So, the definition of what a line IS happens earlier, using the LINE_BREAKER directive. Your log looks a bit odd to me in that the events aren't broken up into individual lines already. Before starting to mess with LINE_BREAKER you might want to investigate if the log itself can't be changed to actually separate events properly into individual lines.

Second, the [ and ] characters are special characters in regular expressions, so whatever regex you end up with will need to escape those.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...