Splunk Dev

BTreeCP and snapshot.tmp in the fishbucket: What does it all mean?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have a continuous repeat of the follow error in my splunkd.log:

ERROR BTreeCP - failed: failed to copy/move C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\fishbucket\splunk_private_db\btree_index.dat to C:\Program Files\Splunk\var\lib\splunk\fishbucket\splunk_private_db\snapshot.tmp: The system cannot find the path specified.

What is the btree_index.dat and what are the implications of its failure to be copied as snapshot.tmp?

1 Solution

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To an answer an ancient question (found it searching) this is a failure to create a backup.

The BTree is where Splunk records the file pointers, or bookmarks, of how far into various files with various content signatures we read, so that we only get new data from files.

Periodically we back this two-file database up into the snaphot subdirectory, and this is a part of that process.

If we goofed once along these lines, it is not a lot to worry about. Probably there was some concurrency error, but it just means once we missed one chance to make a backup. If this is happening all the time, it means you are more exposed to scenarios where the file might become damaged.

In practice, we haven't had these scenarios occur to my knowledge, this is just defensive programming. Still, if this happens all the time, we should look into it.

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To an answer an ancient question (found it searching) this is a failure to create a backup.

The BTree is where Splunk records the file pointers, or bookmarks, of how far into various files with various content signatures we read, so that we only get new data from files.

Periodically we back this two-file database up into the snaphot subdirectory, and this is a part of that process.

If we goofed once along these lines, it is not a lot to worry about. Probably there was some concurrency error, but it just means once we missed one chance to make a backup. If this is happening all the time, it means you are more exposed to scenarios where the file might become damaged.

In practice, we haven't had these scenarios occur to my knowledge, this is just defensive programming. Still, if this happens all the time, we should look into it.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I should wait until 2014, but can't help myself. You're welcome!

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

ancient answer to ancient question now accepted! thanks!

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...