Deployment Architecture

Attempt to thaw data slow and ended unexpectedly

michael_sleep
Communicator

Hello, we have a clustered index that basically has one master indexer and two child indexers. Our data moves to a frozen state after 3 months and we needed to run a report on 6 months worth of data. I moved buckets from the necessary index from the "frozendb" folder to the "thaweddb" folder and created a script to issue the following command to each bucket (bucket names being whatever the bucket was obviously):

splunk rebuild R:\splunkdb\sp_72_logs\thaweddb\rb_1469724228_1469715286_114_CACEB811-4B3C-4B60-AE46-A061185F4F10

This process took over 2 days and was still running when my Powershell session was abruptly ended. I was curious what people would recommend doing in this case or if anyone has ever noted the thawing process to be extremely slow. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to know which buckets are and aren't thawed or where the data actually ends to try and sort it out. Should I just run the process again and hope for the best? Will this duplicate the data? Why are rebuilds so slow?

0 Karma
1 Solution

michael_sleep
Communicator

The solution we used for this was actually to break it up into several Powershell scripts (5-10) and run them all concurrently. This didn't seem to impact performance on the indexer at all and each script ran at the same speed. So I guess if you need to thaw a few thousand buckets, do it in several concurrent scripts, unless you want to leave something running for several days.

View solution in original post

michael_sleep
Communicator

The solution we used for this was actually to break it up into several Powershell scripts (5-10) and run them all concurrently. This didn't seem to impact performance on the indexer at all and each script ran at the same speed. So I guess if you need to thaw a few thousand buckets, do it in several concurrent scripts, unless you want to leave something running for several days.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...