Monitoring Splunk

Asteriks in monitoring entry

damucka
Builder

Hello,

I would like to harvest the files with the "statements" pattern in the name. The examples would be:

/usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5980/trace/DB_ICP/indexserver_ls5980.30240.executed_statements.071.trc
/usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5980/trace/DB_ICP/indexserver_ls5980.30240.expensive_statements.004.trc

For that I have the following configuration on the forwarder side:

monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/.../*statements*trc]
index=mlbso
disabled=false
interval=15
sourcetype=ICP_statements

This however does not seem to work.
How would I do this properly? Is it a problem of two asterisks in the filename pattern?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

Tags (1)
0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

The directory name 'ls5979' in question is different from the one in monitor stanza. Not sure if it's a typo here.
However, do you see any errors in splunkd.log in reference to this file. Try running something like, index=_internal sourcetype=splunkd host=ForwarderHostName *statements*

You can also see input status using rest api. http://ForwarderHostName:8089/services/admin/inputstatus (search (ctrl+f) for 'statements' on this page)
Note: You'd need admin credentials of splunk to check input status

0 Karma

damucka
Builder

Thank you.
Actually I have two hosts, that is how the confusion came, the ls5979 and ls5980. And also the configuration is a bit different (the old version is active at the moment), which is (example ls5979):

[monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/nameserver*executed_statements*trc]
index=mlbso
disabled=false
interval=15
sourcetype=ICP_executed_statements
blacklist = [ICDicd]\d{6,}\.trc|rtedump|_alert_|available\.log$|nameserver_history\.trc$|table_consistency_check|\.(?i:gz|json|old|py|tar|txt|xml|zip|jexlog|dot)$

[monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/DB_ICP/indexserver*executed_statements*trc]
index=mlbso
disabled=false
interval=15
blacklist = [ICDicd]\d{6,}\.trc|rtedump|_alert_|available\.log$|nameserver_history\.trc$|table_consistency_check|\.(?i:gz|json|old|py|tar|txt|xml|zip|jexlog|dot)$

So, I am looking for the "executed_statements" pattern in the filename and would like to get the logs.
When I check the splunkd.log the only two entries there I can find are:

11-06-2018 10:20:34.054 +0100 INFO  TailingProcessor - Parsing configuration stanza: monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/DB_ICP/indexserver*executed_statements*trc.
11-06-2018 10:20:34.056 +0100 INFO  TailingProcessor - Parsing configuration stanza: monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/nameserver*executed_statements*trc.

.. but I guess they are okay.
Still since 10:20 I am not getting any input from the corresponding files.

0 Karma

sudosplunk
Motivator

In your configs above, I noticed you're missing "DB_ICP" directory after "trace" in monitor stanza. Also, is it possible to specify whitelist explicitly for the file you want to ingest than using blacklist. Something like below would work?

[monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/DB_ICP/*executed_statements*trc]
 index=mlbso
 disabled=false
 interval=15
 whitelist = indexserver|nameserver
0 Karma

damucka
Builder

Hello,

The missing DB_ICP is becsuse for the nameserver I need to collect from the directory above and for the indexserver from the DB_ICP, where it is already there in the input path.
When I think of that now, I would try the following config, please let me know what you think:
[monitor:///usr/sap/ICP/HDB02/ls5979/trace/.../*]
index=mlbso
disabled=false
interval=15
sourcetype=ICP_statements
whitelist = statements

My intention here is to collect all files with the "statement" pattern in the filename from the trace directory and below (DB_ICP).
Would that make sense?

Kind Regards,
Kamil

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...