Splunk Cloud Platform

App icons not showing in Splunk cloud

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

I've created an app with custom icons in the correct format described by Splunk doc.
I've packed and verified the app with the tools provided by Splunk and everything seems ok. Finally I've tried installing the app in my local Splunk I use for dev and the icons are correctly displayed.

I uploaded the application to Splunk cloud as private app, the application was accepted and correctly installed (All its dashboards and contents are available), however icons are missing.

I've noticed that in Splunk enterprise I needed to restart before seeing the icons, however this is not a possibility in cloud.

Also as additional info when I check network call:
I get a 403 not enough permission to get this resource if I'm not admin.
I get 200 but 1x1 image if I'm admin.

Image url is /splunkd/__raw/servicesNS/user/TestApplication/static/appLogo_2x.png
(Where user is the correct one)

Has anyone faced this issue before?
Is there a way to "restart" Splunk cloud?

0 Karma

msivill_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try restarting the cloud instance ( Settings -> Server Controls )

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

I don't see this option in the menu even when I'm admin. I can see the menu in splunk enterprise but seems not available on cloud.

0 Karma

msivill_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The menu items appear on the top left in Cloud rather than top right like in Enterprise. Can you see "Setting" menu item? What options appear in "Setting" menu? What privileges does your admin user have? Within Splunk you can set up different "admin" users with different privileges.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

So I'm sc_admin and power.
Under "system" category I have server settings (Same as with splunk enterprise except I only have this option while in enterprise I have "server settings", "server controls", etc)

"Server settings" offers me two possible actions only "email settings" and "search preferences".

0 Karma

msivill_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Its the search head that needs to be bounced. Not sure why you don't see the option, perhaps raise a ticket with support?

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Yep, I'll try that, as even creating a HEC seems not to be "restarting" Splunk.

I have the feeling Splunk cloud lacks of some capabilities comparing it with enterprise, and unfortunately I also have the feeling that most of the people chose using Enterprise and all documentation is oriented to this :s.

Thanks for the answers.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Generally, the first time the app is installed, the app will show; it is when the app or icon is upgraded after the first install. Also, due to silly legacy problems, most people put the icons in .../<yourapp>/static/ and .../<yourapp>/appserver/static/.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

When I look at the doc it says icons go in ...//static/ , if this is not so where should I put them?

Also I've made an update of my app already, but the icon is still missing...
Just a reminder, I'm using Splunk cloud, so I have no control on internal file structure.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Just try it.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

I'm sorry, but your answer is not very clear to me and I don't understand what to try.

I've put the icon in /static as said by the doc (http://dev.splunk.com/view/webframework-developapps/SP-CAAAE86). This works in enterprise and it's also placed there in all the applications I got from splunk base. I don't think this is due to legacy...

I've also made an update of the app (several by now) and the icons are missing.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

How can it not be clear? Create another directory called appserver. Inside of that create another directory called static. Inside of that directory place copies of your images there as well as the original directory.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

I tried putting the images in appserver/static (Where I already have a javascript that is working) but still nothing.

I guess I'll just open a ticket in splunk support.
Thanks for the answer

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, do let us know what they tell you.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

There is not need to be rude.

I'm sorry but the way is written is not clear at all:
"Generally, the first time the app is installed, the app will show; it is when the app or icon is upgraded after the first install." --> Meaning the first time the application is install the application becomes available but not the images that becomes available after an update???

"Also, due to silly legacy problems, most people put the icons in ...//static/ and ...//appserver/static/." --> I understand it as due to legacy issue people put the icons in those two directories but they are both wrong, there is an "and" in the phrase.

I guess you meant "Also, due to silly legacy problems, most people put the icons in ...//static/ INSTEAD ...//appserver/static/."

But in any case, now that I understand what you meant, thanks for the answer I'll try tihs.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I wrote "and" and feel that it was perfectly clear. If you believe otherwise then saying it is not very clear makes it nearly impossible for me to additionally clarify because I, obviously, feel that I was perfectly clear. If you say something like do you mean literally *and* or do you mean *instead of* would have been far more productive. In any case, you get the gist of it. Your restatements of what I said is another great way to highlight where the confusion is. Usually on the first install the icon appears and that icon may be fairly sticky and hard to update if you change it later. However, if on first install the icon does not appear, which is pretty common, I am not sure what makes it appear but it always does eventually.

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

Unfortunately even the first time I uploaded the app the icon didn't show up. In a previous app it was the same, but after some time the icon appeared, I don't know why to be honest.

Yesterday I opened a ticket to Splunk support. Because I tried putting it in appserver/static but it's still the same and to the date, our customers are using the splunk application, where it's horrible to see just a line with the application title instead of the icon :s.

Finally they contacted me and asked for my agreement to look at the splunk instance.

I guess I just wait for their answer and update this post if I get some explanation.

0 Karma

willemjongeneel
Communicator

Hello,

As far as I know deleting an Index will trigger a restart. Maybe you can try that.

Kind regards,
Willem

0 Karma

smalonso
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks for the answer, I've tried this, but icon is still not showing :(.

I forgot to mentioned, for a previous app I had the same issue, until from one day to another the icon on this one started showing up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...