Security

Allowed characters in passwords via the cli

Blu3fish
Path Finder

Hello,

When issuing the following command on an initial install of Splunk (Splunk is running) I receive the expected "User admin edited" confirmation but when I try to log on to the web ui it appears that the password won't take.

When changing the password via the webui it works every time.

./splunk edit user admin -password 7eyRa$# -roles admin Your session is invalid. Please login. Splunk username: admin Password: changeme User admin edited.

(Also tried with quotes surrounding the new password: ./splunk edit user admin -password "7eyRa$#" -roles admin)

I was able to get the password to stick (via the cli) if I removed the final "#" character. Is there any way around this?

Thanks, Brennan

Tags (1)
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have a bug currently open against this issue. It will be fixed in a future release. The work-around in the meantime is to use the UI to set passwords that contain characters such as "$" or "#", or simply to avoid using those characters to set a password.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have a bug currently open against this issue. It will be fixed in a future release. The work-around in the meantime is to use the UI to set passwords that contain characters such as "$" or "#", or simply to avoid using those characters to set a password.

jawaharas
Motivator

Even in Splunk 7.1 , login is failed while using CLI, when the symbols are in password.

0 Karma

ejharts2015
Communicator

Still exists in Splunk 6.3 as well... 😞

0 Karma

ianformanek
Explorer

This problem is still present in the current version, I cannot use password with a dollar sign if I want to use the CLI (./splunk install app xxx -auth admin:my$pass fails)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...