Alerting

Alert for when new index/sourcetype is created

mr_t2083
Explorer

What’s a good search query I can use to notify me any time a new index or sourcetype is created with a 7 day range.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there,

partial answer here, indexes first.
here is how to check if an index was created, note: did not check in indexer cluster configuration but i assume its the same or close

index = _audit action=indexes_edit info=granted operation=create
| stats values(object) as new_index_created by _time splunk_server
| rename _time as creation_time splunk_server as indexer

as for sourcetype,
you can use the |metadata type=sourcetypes maybe with | outputslookup command to generate a lookup of sourcetype names and the last time they were seen by splunk and than have a search to run against new data and match to existing lookup table to see if there are any new sourcetypes

hope it helps

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there,

partial answer here, indexes first.
here is how to check if an index was created, note: did not check in indexer cluster configuration but i assume its the same or close

index = _audit action=indexes_edit info=granted operation=create
| stats values(object) as new_index_created by _time splunk_server
| rename _time as creation_time splunk_server as indexer

as for sourcetype,
you can use the |metadata type=sourcetypes maybe with | outputslookup command to generate a lookup of sourcetype names and the last time they were seen by splunk and than have a search to run against new data and match to existing lookup table to see if there are any new sourcetypes

hope it helps

0 Karma

mr_t2083
Explorer

Hi Adonio,

Thanks for your response, but I'm looking for a way to identify when new data is added to splunk. For example lets say sourcefire data is added and a new index called index=sourcefire is created. How can I get an alert when something new is added to splunk?

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

please refer back to the answer, the search above tells you when a new index was configured.
for sourcetypes, you can use the I metadata type=sourcetype command.
try it and see the result. you can capture a new sourcetype by the first and last field values that this command genarates

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

you can use | rest /services/data/indexes

0 Karma

mr_t2083
Explorer

That just give me a list of index, I’m looking for a search that will give me a list of new index created in the last 7 days

0 Karma

aakwah
Builder

on the indexer run:

tail -f /opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log | grep index_name

then create and index and catch the log line, and you should find this log on _internal index

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...