Getting Data In

Adding line number to line breaked events

FrankSPL
Path Finder

I'n trying to index complete Cisco switch configuration files. A snipped of such an output look like this:

version 15.2
service timestamps debug datetime msec localtime
service timestamps log datetime msec localtime
no service dhcp
!
hostname DUMMYHOST
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
logging buffered 32000 informational
no logging console
enable secret 5 xyzxyzxyz
!
username enguser secret 5 xyzxyzxyz
username wuguser secret 5 xyzxyzxyz
aaa new-model

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1
description TEXT1
switchport access vlan 123
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
description TEXT2
switchport access vlan 222
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate

Because I wanted to search later on per interface I breaked the files at the ! into events using:
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE=^!

As this works OK, and I can do my searches, there is no way I can show the entire configuration file in its original order.
Because the config file does not contain any timestamps I use:
DATETIME_CONFIG=CURRENT

All events now have the same timestamp. There is no way to sort in back in original order.

Is there any (easy) way to solve this?
Could it be possible to add line number to each event or other meta data to sort it later on?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The answer is no, for the index time.
all the events will have almost the same indextime and _time, therefore the original order will be lost once cut in pieces.

if you want to get the whole configuration in a single event (SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false and MAX_EVENTS=thelongestconfigfilelength ) you could eventually try to break it later in multiple pieces at search time.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...