Security

Account locked out

Gayathirik
Path Finder

index=winsec EventCode="4624" | dedup user| stats count as total by _time host user src_ip

The above query wrks fine for extracting the sourceip for acccount logged on.

But!!

index=winsec EventCode="4740" | dedup user| stats count as total by _time host user src_ip is not working to extarct the ip address of the machine that got account locked out.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

i just checked, the Event ID 4740 is not capturing the source ip's. its collecting only Computer names (host gives short hostname, ComputerName gives the FQDN).

index=winsec EventCode="4740" | dedup user| stats count as total by _time host user ComputerName

maybe, from ComputerName, you can do a dnslookup.

updated - to get src_ip, maybe a subsearch will help -

index=winsec [search index=winsec EventCode="4740" | dedup user| table ComputerName] | stats count as total by _time host user src_ip

View solution in original post

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

i just checked, the Event ID 4740 is not capturing the source ip's. its collecting only Computer names (host gives short hostname, ComputerName gives the FQDN).

index=winsec EventCode="4740" | dedup user| stats count as total by _time host user ComputerName

maybe, from ComputerName, you can do a dnslookup.

updated - to get src_ip, maybe a subsearch will help -

index=winsec [search index=winsec EventCode="4740" | dedup user| table ComputerName] | stats count as total by _time host user src_ip

Gayathirik
Path Finder

Yes, i have already used with computer name still i need to extract the sourceip that would give evn more clarification when the account is locked from a particular src_ip rather than computername..

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

to get src_ip, maybe a subsearch will help -

Gayathirik
Path Finder

This really wrks!!!Thanks a lot!!!

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Gayathri, can you please mark this as the accepted answer (and (few) upvotes please 😉 )

jpolcari
Communicator

The src_ip is NOT available from Event ID 4740

More info: https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventID=4740

If you are looking for more information on what caused the lockout, you would need to look more into the failed logon attempts that lead up to the lockout.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...