All Apps and Add-ons

why isn't JSChart / radialGauge drilldown working

kingsizebk
Path Finder

I am using Splunk, Sideview Utils and my custom app to create a dashboard/view with radial gauges on it (each gauge represents the CPU, MEM, etc. utilization.)

I want to be able to click on any of the radial gauges and drilldown to another view, but clicking on the gauge does not take me anywhere. Can anyone help me understand how to resolve this?

Here is the XML file that defines the view (NOTE: I have replaced "<" with "{" and ">" with "}", in case the raw XML is not allowed in the forum.)

{module name="TimeRangePicker" layoutPanel="panel_row2_col1"}

{param name="default"}Last 15 minutes{/param}

{module name="Search"}

{param name="search"}

{![CDATA[index=dpi2_cpu_sum | stats max(latestCPU) as Max_CPU_Util | eval Max_CPU_Util=round(Max_CPU_Util,0)]]}

{/param}

{module name="JobProgressIndicator" /}

{module name="HiddenChartFormatter"}

{param name="charting.chart"}radialGauge{/param}

{module name="JSChart"}

{module name="Redirector"}

{param name="url"}dp_insight_details_by_host{/param}

{param name="arg.earliest"}$search.timeRange.earliest${/param}

{param name="arg.latest"}$search.timeRange.latest${/param}

{/module}

{/module}

{/module}

{/module}

{/module}

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

the problem is just that when JSChart or FlashChart, is acting as a radial gauge, it is no longer clickable at all. In that no interaction with the chart will ever push to the modules you have downstream from it.

There's a clunky workaround, and that's to just have a Button module sit below the chart, but not downstream from, the chart, and have all your inline-drilldown or redirect config sit downstream from the Button. You can give the button a label like "view details". I know it's a little unsatisfying. 😃 I'm a little surprised that they still haven't made the gauge charts at least push a context when the user clicks them. The charts don't have to actually pass any 'selection' in this case for that to be useful.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

the problem is just that when JSChart or FlashChart, is acting as a radial gauge, it is no longer clickable at all. In that no interaction with the chart will ever push to the modules you have downstream from it.

There's a clunky workaround, and that's to just have a Button module sit below the chart, but not downstream from, the chart, and have all your inline-drilldown or redirect config sit downstream from the Button. You can give the button a label like "view details". I know it's a little unsatisfying. 😃 I'm a little surprised that they still haven't made the gauge charts at least push a context when the user clicks them. The charts don't have to actually pass any 'selection' in this case for that to be useful.

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note: you can actually post XML, you have to either indent it by 4 space characters, or enclose the whole block in backticks. Most of all, you have to completely ignore the "preview" box which will be telling you all sorts of erroneous things, like that your XML wont be displayed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...